RO/DI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwater T

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started my tank using tap water (BIG MISTAKE) now i have crazy algae problems i plan to invest in a RO/DI filter can you guys please tell me everything i need to know. Thanks

Nothing really to know. Hook it up to your water source (mine hooks up to a garden hose) and you`ll have two small lines water will come from. One will have waste water coming out and the other will have good clean water. Mine are blue and orange with the good water coming out the blue hose. RO/DI unit will be the best investment you make on your tank. This is the one I got but it is a little pricey.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4395+4459&pcatid=4459

Yup, Melosu is right.....

I did the exact same thing and after a few frustrating months I opted for an ro/di unit. It's much more convenient too. Just remember to change out the filters and resin on a regular basis (thanks to Kurt for telling me that).

It's really easy to hook up to either a garden hose or use a faucet adapter for an inside application. Just order the adapters when you order the unit to avoid a needless hassle.

I've had my unit for about 6-7 months and don't have anymore cyano/algae problems.

Good luck to you!

I got a Typhoon III from AirWaterIce 3 years ago and have been thrilled with it.

There are cheaper units available, but Walt at AWI still answers email on weekends and nights. The units have the clear plastic housings, come with a TDS meter, FAST FLUSH, DI BYPASS, and a RO only valve: a sample port for testing the membrane and for filling jugs of drinking

So when i do get it if i just do regular water changes with it will that slow dpwn mt algae

Saltwater T said:
So when i do get it if i just do regular water changes with it will that slow dpwn mt algae
Larger, more frequent PWC's will get rid of the accumulated nutrients in your tank faster. After things are under control, you can switch back to your normal PWC amount and frequency. I'd suggest doing a few 20-25% PWC's every few days to get things in line at first. Good luck

I will certainly help. You may need to increase the frequency of water changes for a few weeks to remove the PO4 and NO3 that it likely fueling the algae. In addition, it is important to evaluate feeding amount, schedule and techiniques as well as lighting cycle. These all contribute to algae issues...source water being only a part of the overall equation.

Don't forget that you will need to change the filters on the RO/DI system. I change mine every 6 months.

Don't forget that you will need to change the filters on the RO/DI system. I change mine every 6 months.
Good point. Filter, resin and membrane life will greatly depend on use and source water. I have had my filterguys ocean wave + for well over a year and have not changed out anything yet. PO4 and NO3 are still zero in the end product and I have a TDS reading of 003. I filter 60-80gals/month and will get concerned when I see a TDS reading of higher then 008.

If you want to be real thorough, get a hand held TDS meter. Even my cheap hand held is more accurate than the dual inline one I have. The popular dual inline tds I have is off about 10 tds and I cannot calibrate it :(

RO/DI is the way to go. If you have a good foundation (your water) then you will have fewer problems or at least can eliminate one source. Doing regular PWCs is a good idea. I have stuck to doing PWCs every other week and it has served me/my tank well over the last 3 years. Keep in mind that your RO/DI water is going to be cold so heating your water when you mix your SW up is needed! Also make sure that you let your SW mix for at least 24 hours before you do your PWC.

Back
Top Bottom