RO/DI a good investment???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitetiprs

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been reading about the benefits of RO/DI units for awhile now and was wondering if it would be a good idea for me to purchace one. I am currently in College, graduating soon thank god, and money is alittle tight but I found a 6 stage RO/DI filter on ebay for $100 from filters direct. Is this a good deal ?

I also am living in a condo right now and want to know if I can hook up the unit to a sink and let it produce the water I need then shut it off and disconnect it. Hopefully in a few months i will be in a place where i can install it permentaly.

I used tap water to fill the tank but will be using RO water from the LFS for any future water changes until I decide to get an RO/DI unit.

I have the same unit and am very happy with it. I think it is a good deal. You can get adapters that will allow for it to be connected to a garden hose spigot or simular, don't know about the sink. I have mine split off of my cold water to the washer. HTH

I used a few adapters and have mine hooked up to the laundry sink. Hook it up, make some water, and then remove it. Oh yeah, I just leave the adapter for the python hooked up to the sink all the time.

Funny, I'm in a very similar situation. I'm in college, renting an apartment, and I did buy the exact same filter. Money was tight for me as well, so I didn't get the extra tank. I don't really think you need it. The GPD rating on that filter is pretty high compared to other ones, so waiting for purified water shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'd say that I lose 2-3 gallons a day due to evaporation and it only takes me 10-15 mins. to refill.
But what you should do is invest in longer water tubing for the exit portion of the filter. I have my tank in my room upstairs and have the filter installed under my bathroom sink. This way I just run the long (about 20 or so feet) tube straight to my tank. I don't have to carry any buckets to and from the water source.
Also, if you're moving soon, I wouln't recommend drilling a hole in the drain under your sink like the directions say to. All I do is use the supplied (black) waste water exit tube and run into the sink right above it. That way it goes down the drain like it is supposed to and you don't have to drill anything.

Buy this filter!! It's a steal for what it provides. Your tank will love you for it and you will always have drinking water ready to drink! HTH!

Next to the tank my RO/DI is the best investment I made.

I agree with all of the above and would recommend this filter. I just installed mine earlier in the week. It was pretty easy to install. I believe they sell an adapter that screws into the aerator of your faucet in addition the garden hose one. If you want to go with the traditional installation, I would suggest using flex hosing on both sides of the supplied fitting (makes the process easier and less likely to leak).

All-in-all I am very pleased with the filter. Best of all . . . no more shlepping out to the LFS on a weekly basis :)

well thanks for the info everyone. I think Im going to save up for a few weeks then shell out for the filter.

And I know driving to the LFS can be a pain every week, maybe now my girlfriend will stop making fun of me for having to go atleast once a week.

Back
Top Bottom