Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

RO/DI & shutoff

I purchased a 5 stage RO/DI unit a while back. With it, I bought a booster pump & shut off switch, and a drinking water with 5 gal holding tank. The shut off switch never worked properly.

Bear with me while I walk through the setup.

The booster is right after the piercing conn, then piped to the 5 stages, there is an auto-shut off unit installed from one of these fittings, it goes up(4') to a T fitting under the sink, one way of the T is to the 5 gal holding tank the other way to the taste polisher then to the shut-off to the tap.

I am on a well with 25 lbs of press, when I plug the booster in and open the piercing valve all works well, I can fill up the 75 gal holding tanks, fill the 5 gal under sink put when I close a valve on my product line output, pressure builds up to 110 psi but will not shut off automatically. I have to unplug the unit. What gives here? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-25-2004, 11:18 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I'm not really following you on this one. There is an electrical shut off for the booster pump that isn't working? I'm guessing you wouldn't want the booster pump running unless the unit was producing water. I'm not all that familiar with the booster pumps although I probably need one here. My suggestion would be to call Aqua FX. Even if you didn't buy the unit from them, I think they could help with your problem and possibly set you up with a switch that works.

Old 01-26-2004, 04:19 PM   #3
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Yup sounds like the shut off switch is not working so if the booster is dependent on that to cycle it on and off, it will just keep running because it is not receiving a circuit break from the switch. Either the shut off switch is malfunctioning or make sure it is properly installed. You will need a proper shut off switch to make this set up work properly. As you use the system, the pressure drop should close the switcy contact which would turn on the booster. When the holding tank is full. the pressure should built to the point where it breaks the circuit on the switch, shutting down the pump. HTH. 8)

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had the shut off switch replaced and I am having the exact same problem. The customer service person that I bought it from couldn't help me with a solution. I am wondering if the cut off switch is in the right place in relation to the whole sytem. I was looking for someone who has a booster pump installed in their system and where and how they plumbed in the pressure switch. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I would think you'd need the pressure switch between the booster and the first prefilter. That is where the pressure needs to be measured. When your float valve closes, the pressure actuated solenoid (I'm using a Kent float valve system...yours may be different) should shut off the water flow at the inlet to the sediment prefilter. The pressure switch should be before that solenoid. That way, when the solenoid shuts off the water, the pressure should build quickly and trip the electrical pressure switch that controls the pump. Does that make sense? I can do a diagram if it'll help. Can you get a couple of pics of how your system is set up now?

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com