Ro/di filter absloutly need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RO/DI water isn't necessarily essential, but success starts out with the water you're using. RO/DI is pure water, no phosphates or silicates or any other mysterious dissolved solids that would be in tap water. RO water has a much lower TDS than tap water, but still can cause algae problems and other issues. For a beginner, RO water/distilled water is fine, but I recommend a RO/DI system if you can afford it. If not, get RO water at the very least. I've never seen that tap water filter used or reviewed by a saltwater hobbyist. There's used RO/DI systems you could get or some RO systems for $80. You want the lowest TDS reading possible.

THe link to the filter says only treats 50-150 gallons which is outrageous. Even for a nano SW tank, that cartridge would have to be thrown away in a month or two. Not worth the money.

Those look like a bunch of RO membranes. An RO system is 2-3 canisters with a RO membrane.

Aqua Reef Ro Di Reverse Osmosis Water System | eBay

This is the cheapest I found on ebay that looks decent. I don't know the company or reviews or how long the filters last before needing to be replaced, but you can further research that if you wish. Even though it seems expensive at first, it will save money in the long run. If you don't want to spend a bunch of money right away you can get water from your LFS if they sell it or distilled water. It adds up though, and it's a pain to take back and forth. BRS RO/DI systems are great quality and popular, but I'd imagine you don't want to spend $200.

Alright, thanks. Yeah, I defintly don`t have the money for a 200 dollar unit right now. I trying to find one in the 50- 70 range

Back
Top Bottom