Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
Quote:
Any RO/DI unit can produce water that has a 0 reading for TDS. The difference is how much the cheaper units are going to cost you in the long run in replacement DI cartridges.
That is what I figured. Its just that some people really bad mouth these Ebay units. I have replaced my DI unit 3 times in about 2.5 yrs. Sometimes just because it seemed like it had been awhile. My TDS readings were still below 5.
When was the last time your TDS meter was calibrated? Three changes in 2.5 years is very little and makes me suspicious of your reading.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Well, it was calibrated when I bought it and that was the last time. I don't have any of the calibration solution on hand though. Maybe I will have a friend try theirs out and compare.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Well, with the new 180, I changed out all my white canister to clear canisters and added a dual DI system to replace my single. I also put in a new dual TDS meter.

Weird thing is that my incoming TDS is 205 and the TDS before the DI stage is 0. This is with a 3 yr old membrane and carbon/sediment filters that are about 3 months old. I tested the after DI water with my old TDS meter and it came up as 1.

I had also tested my TDS meter with a friends TDS meter on his RO/DI unit. It checked out on his system too.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Can't you calibrate them with distilled water? I'll have to look at my instructions to double check.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
Quote:
Any RO/DI unit can produce water that has a 0 reading for TDS. The difference is how much the cheaper units are going to cost you in the long run in replacement DI cartridges.
That is what I figured. Its just that some people really bad mouth these Ebay units. I have replaced my DI unit 3 times in about 2.5 yrs. Sometimes just because it seemed like it had been awhile. My TDS readings were still below 5.
When was the last time your TDS meter was calibrated? Three changes in 2.5 years is very little and makes me suspicious of your reading.
I can tell you that I have had resin last over a year with only showing a 2-3 on the TDS meter (I have 2 meters). I am running dual DI's and a booster pump so this helps it last longer. Before the booster I would get less then 3 months from my resin.
My buddy also gets about a year from his resin w/a booster pump.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been running the same FilterDirect (off of ebay) unit for 3 years without changing a thing. It is still running 0-1 TDS. I was quite concerned that it would go so long and still produce zero TDS water, so I've validated it against others and have come up with a very small margin of error.

Might be time to dig up some calibration fluid just to triple check it, but I'm not having any algae issues either so I have a great deal of faith in the numbers!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com