Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

RO/DI filter changing color after 25 gal

Is there a problem with myNew Ro/Di waterFilter ??or my well water??The Di filter is changing color 1/4 the way up the canister to Orange just after 25 gal..(i dident get to use any water yet and the filter is turning)the canisters water level is filled up to the last 1/2 inch mark close to totally full.. is that too high? Any Thoughts..Thanks.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm my di filter is I guess an orangeish in color, I never gave it much thought. Mine also generally goes about 3/4 of the way up with water.

Not sure if that helps any.

Did you pick up a cheap tds meter? that will tell you if the di resin is doing it's job.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Hmm my di filter is I guess an orangeish in color, I never gave it much thought. Mine also generally goes about 3/4 of the way up with water.

Not sure if that helps any.

Did you pick up a cheap tds meter? that will tell you if the di resin is doing it's job.
Hi Carey ,My system i bought came with the meter,i like it alot ,so even if the color changes orangish i realize it still going to do its job for a while,,Ill just keep my eye on the meter,,,My ph is low like 5.9 on the fresh watertest kit so, ill keep mty top off water in a 5gal pail( thanks to the nice screw on top the instant ocean salt company gives you when you buy)( and i always do my change over pails using 4 gal.it equals out to use 2 cups of instant ocean salt mix for a i guess 1.023 salinity or gravity + or - a notch..) how ,,,should i buffer the water up with the Seachem buffer powder at this point? before i put it in tank?.( for top off water)...Then, for the water change mix with salt in then check the Ph Of the Pail ..then buffer that uip to 8.3 if needed an proceed with the change?Thanks ....Gerry
Old 09-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Have you tested the hi range ph on a mixed bucket of salt? the salt mix should make it to 8.3 or so by itself..
Old 09-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Have you tested the hi range ph on a mixed bucket of salt? the salt mix should make it to 8.3 or so by itself..
not yet...ill do what your sayin,,, mix salt first an see what i get there ,,, .thanks
Old 09-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #6

Quote:
I will Very soon ,still waiting for the ro/di water to fill my trash can to determine the hrs it taks to fill it ill do it tomorrow..( Boy,well water is ice cold up here. )
Old 09-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Do you have a heater in your can?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Do you have a heater in your can?
no, i should though Huhh...i have a extra one..
Old 09-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yep, you wanna temp match the water if youre gonna use it for a pwc or for top offs.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm assuming the TDS of your RO/DI water is 0ppm.

What's the TDS of the RO water (immediately after the membrane, before the DI stage)? Also, what's the TDS of your faucet water?

Tags
changing, color, filter, ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com