RO/DI filter changing color after 25 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gerridee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there a problem with myNew Ro/Di waterFilter ??or my well water??The Di filter is changing color 1/4 the way up the canister to Orange just after 25 gal..(i dident get to use any water yet and the filter is turning)the canisters water level is filled up to the last 1/2 inch mark close to totally full.. is that too high? Any Thoughts..Thanks.

Hmm my di filter is I guess an orangeish in color, I never gave it much thought. Mine also generally goes about 3/4 of the way up with water.

Not sure if that helps any.

Did you pick up a cheap tds meter? that will tell you if the di resin is doing it's job.
:-D

Hmm my di filter is I guess an orangeish in color, I never gave it much thought. Mine also generally goes about 3/4 of the way up with water.

Not sure if that helps any.

Did you pick up a cheap tds meter? that will tell you if the di resin is doing it's job.
:-D
Hi Carey ,My system i bought came with the meter,i like it alot ,so even if the color changes orangish i realize it still going to do its job for a while,,Ill just keep my eye on the meter,,,My ph is low like 5.9 on the fresh watertest kit so, ill keep mty top off water in a 5gal pail( thanks to the nice screw on top the instant ocean salt company gives you when you buy)( and i always do my change over pails using 4 gal.it equals out to use 2 cups of instant ocean salt mix for a i guess 1.023 salinity or gravity + or - a notch..) how ,,,should i buffer the water up with the Seachem buffer powder at this point? before i put it in tank?.( for top off water)...Then, for the water change mix with salt in then check the Ph Of the Pail ..then buffer that uip to 8.3 if needed an proceed with the change?Thanks ....Gerry:rolleyes:

Have you tested the hi range ph on a mixed bucket of salt? the salt mix should make it to 8.3 or so by itself..

Have you tested the hi range ph on a mixed bucket of salt? the salt mix should make it to 8.3 or so by itself..
I will Very soon ,still waiting for the ro/di water to fill my trash can to determine the hrs it taks to fill it ill do it tomorrow..( Boy,well water is ice cold up here. ):rolleyes:

I'm assuming the TDS of your RO/DI water is 0ppm.

What's the TDS of the RO water (immediately after the membrane, before the DI stage)? Also, what's the TDS of your faucet water?

I'm assuming the TDS of your RO/DI water is 0ppm.

What's the TDS of the RO water (immediately after the membrane, before the DI stage)? Also, what's the TDS of your faucet water?
before the membrane is 004. it has a built in meter.it measures the water intering the di section only its at 004 and after is at 004..

4ppm RO water is good, but it is interesting that the TDS reading is also 4ppm after the DI stage (RO/DI water at this point).

That kind of suggests that the DI isn't functioning (4ppm in/4ppm out). Yet color-changing resin changes when TDS is being removed/adsorbed.

I'm out of ideas! :hide:

before the membrane is 004... it has a built in meter.it measures the water intering the di section only its at 004 and after is at 004..

Did you mean to say "after the membrane is 004"?

The direction of water flow is faucet>pre-sediment filter>carbon block(s)>RO membrane>DI resin.

Am I correct to understand that the one inline TDS sensor is immediately before the DI resin stage and the other is immediately after DI resin stage?

Did you mean to say "after the membrane is 004"?

The direction of water flow is faucet>pre-sediment filter>carbon block(s)>RO membrane>DI resin.

Am I correct to understand that the one inline TDS sensor is immediately before the DI resin stage and the other is immediately after DI resin stage?
There is only 1 meter there are 3 sediment filter mounted in seccession, red line from faucet enters passes through 3 sediment filters then you have the DI resin filter with the meter mounted on it the Di. The meter says whats going in it is (004.) and out is ( 003.) It was pretty straight forword on puttin it together..but only 1 meter..

There is only 1 meter there are 3 sediment filter mounted in seccession, red line from faucet enters passes through 3 sediment filters then you have the DI resin filter with the meter mounted on it the Di. The meter says whats going in it is (004.) and out is ( 003.) It was pretty straight forword on puttin it together..but only 1 meter..

Something isn't right here.

Can you take a pic or two of your system, or tell us what the brand name and model is?

Assuming you have a system with an RO membrane AND a DI stage, right?

If you just have 3 sediment filters and a DI resin stage, yes - you'll blow through that DI resin very very quickly.

DI is intended to be a polishing stage rather than the primary treatment stage.

Russ

Something isn't right here.

Can you take a pic or two of your system, or tell us what the brand name and model is?

Assuming you have a system with an RO membrane AND a DI stage, right?

If you just have 3 sediment filters and a DI resin stage, yes - you'll blow through that DI resin very very quickly.

DI is intended to be a polishing stage rather than the primary treatment stage.

Russ
Hello thanks for your help,Why will it blow through the di resin so fast??its a reef bulk system,hopefully ive loaded the pics of my system,I dont know what it can be other I have well water right out of the ground no household filtering only a sediment filter( Maybe home depot or lowes has a carbon filter i can use instead of just a strainer filter,might help) what store might sell a meter locally? I know i can order online..

Attachments

• End of summer 068.jpg
    End of summer 068.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 73
  • End of summer 071.jpg
    End of summer 071.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 70
Hello thanks for your help,Why will it blow through the di resin so fast??its a reef bulk system,hopefully ive loaded the pics of my system,I dont know what it can be other I have well water right out of the ground no household filtering only a sediment filter( Maybe home depot or lowes has a carbon filter i can use instead of just a strainer filter,might help) what store might sell a meter locally? I know i can order online..
i refilled the resin filter with new resin an the stuff started to turn on the bottom again after only a few gallons....

ITs likely that your RO membrane isn't seated (pushed in) fully and is letting waste water get through to the DI cartridge.

Across the bottom in the clear housings you have a sediment filter and two carbon blocks (rather than 3 sediment filters). Did you not get instructions with a diagram with the system?

You have a dual inline TDS meter. IT is a single meter with 2 probes - so it reads your RO water (water coming in to the DI), and your DI water. What is the TDS of your RO water?

Also - read the instructions that came with the tds meter and make sure you have the two probes aligned correctly.

Russ

ITs likely that your RO membrane isn't seated (pushed in) fully and is letting waste water get through to the DI cartridge.

Across the bottom in the clear housings you have a sediment filter and two carbon blocks (rather than 3 sediment filters). Did you not get instructions with a diagram with the system?

You have a dual inline TDS meter. IT is a single meter with 2 probes - so it reads your RO water (water coming in to the DI), and your DI water. What is the TDS of your RO water?

Also - read the instructions that came with the tds meter and make sure you have the two probes aligned correctly.

Russ
the meter is reading 003 going into the di stage and reading 000 comming out...earlier i removed the osmosis element cap an inspected it maybe you had a point about not being seated right,could have been...(So that elenent should be pushed in firmly?)witch i believe i did before replacing the cap..

If your RO water is reading 3 it sounds like the RO is working fine.

Was it reading 3 when you were burning through DI resin quickly?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom