Ro/Di Filter questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everything that is pictured is what you get.. I got it for $135.00 shipped.. I should have it sometime next week and will post as to how it works..

James

After you use it for a few months. I'd like to hear what you think. My concerns would be that there is no pressure gauge, so you don't know how your membrane is doing. There is no TDS meter, so you do no know if your DI is going and you can't see any of your filter cartridges so you have to take it apart to see if your sediment is dirty or your DI is exhausted.

Norm
Webmaster
http://www,aquariumwaterfilters.com

My concerns would be that there is no pressure gauge, so you don't know how your membrane is doing. There is no TDS meter, so you do no know if your DI is going and you can't see any of your filter cartridges so you have to take it apart to see if your sediment is dirty or your DI is exhausted.

I am certainly no expert on RO units, but I thought that *most* RO membranes are good for around 2-5 years or so. So lets say we shoot for replacing it in 3 years.

Also I think that regular maintenance of the sediment filter calls for replacing it every 6 months and the GAC filters should be replaced once every year.

You are correct, though, that without a TDS meter, one cannot measure dissolved solids in the water. So we would be guessing about when to replace the DI resin. But I think a safe guess would be around the 2 year area. Perhaps the same time the membrane is replaced...

Your assumptions are absolutely correct. However, I am a gadget guy and I like to monitor things - thus I like an in-line TDS meter, a pressure gauge and clear housings. If you ever exceed your GAC capacity and chlorine gets to your membrane, it will destroy it in short order. A pressure gauge will tell you if you have a problem or if your membrane is getting old. I like to keep an eye on my membrane performance - it is like a gas gauge in my car. Changing the GAC and pre-filter every 6 months is a good idea, but I can never keep track of that kind of stuff, but one look at the filter through a clear housing and I know the condition of my pre-filter (and DI). I always change my carbon at the same time as my pre-filter. That is must my preference and style and MHO. Since you got such a great deal on your RO/DI, you may want to consider getting a clear housing for for your DI when you replace it.

Norm
Webmaster
http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com

Why bother taking chances when you can pick up a TDS Meter from Ebay for US$25.00? I bought one from this guy in canada (filter, tank and meter) and got a great deal on it and love it. The TDS meter is cheap and easy to use and worth the peace of mind. With all the money you spend on an aquarium, is it really worth skimping out over a lousy 25 bucks? Also, turn of the flow restrictor on your waste water line about once a month or so and let it run free to rinse out any sediment, this will prolong the membrane life a bit.
Zero

You guys are 100% right on all info. I just hate measuring every little thing. I guess I am the opposite of normd as far as gadgets go...

;-)

Now you all have me thinking I need to pick up my own TDS.

Since you got such a great deal on your RO/DI, you may want to consider getting a clear housing for for your DI when you replace it.

Great advice!!! In fact, you could buy a clear housing for the sediment filter as well. I may do that!!!

I just bought that same model from the same dealer the other day...I am waiting for it to come in! Although, I was lucky enough to get it for about 116.00 with shipping :D I hope it works well, I have heard good things about these, soooo....we'll see! where can you get the housings and other parts like the TDS? Besides online?

I believe you can order from them directly.. You might want to email filterdirect @ aol.com and ask them I know that I am waiting on my updated order form... Btw as for the pressure gauge and TDS meter missing.. For the price of this one you could easily go out and buy the meter and guage and still have spent less than one that comes with it.. Hell you could probably add a booster pump and equal the same price as you would pay for a More expensive name brand one.. All I can say is that I am not a rep from the company and I absolutely love mine.. With that said.. I am back to surfing now..

James

Just so you know james I did a slight edit on your post to make the e-mail address so it can be as easily spidered from the nasty spam bots.

I hate spam and one sure fire way to get an e-mail address on a spammers list is to post it on the internet so to save them some possible future spam I changed it so its not clickable.

Just wanted you to know what happend so you did not see it later and wonder what was up.

RO/DI system from ebay

How do you like the 6 stage RO/DI system you purchased from ebay so far? I was thinking of purchasing the same system, but since they use chloramine in our water supply in Miami and the system doesn't sue catalytic carbon for one of it's stages, I am concerned that the ammonia will find it's way into my water supply.

Any suggestions or ideas will help.

Back
Top Bottom