RO/Di Flow problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpEd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have connected my RO/DI system, but I am getting a very slow water output. The system is rated for 125 GPD. I have good flow going into the system and after the first 3 stages, but it slows considerably after the RO unit. I figured conservatively that I should at least get an output or 4 gallons per hour, but I am not getting anywhere close to that.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

I thought the same thing when I first got my unit...the output is measured literally in drops. waste water is extensive. My first thought is that if you have the required pressure to the unit, it is probably putting out what it should be. Mine is a 100 gpd unit and I get about half of that.

We were told that the GPD were under perfect circumstances and that no one has those. ALot depends on the type of water you have as well. I honestly do not understand it all, but I was told the same thing by several different companies.

SpEd,
I am having the exact same problem. I was getting about 5-10 GPD, for a unit that was supposed to give me 100 GPD.

What company did you buy from? Hope it wasn't the same as mine. I'm gonna complain to them soon.

May be a faulty auto shut-off valve, which is the little regulator thingy that has about 4 tubes going into it... I'll let you know how my problem is resolved, if it is.

I ordered mine off of ebay. I have been playing with the plumbing and I am getting very good water flow into the RO module, but poor after the module to the fresh water. When I open the drain all the way, the flow out of that is good also.

Does it take a while for the RO module to get broken in?

I am running a test right now to see how much water it produces in a 15 minute period. I will update when the test is over.

There shouldn't be a broke in period for the RO system, the membrane is the one determine your flow rate, other other filters are just the extra hand, make be one of you want to test your water TDS level before and after, and also makesure all the line a connect probably, (which probably already are) If your output is running all day long even after it fill the reserve tank, it may be the fault valve.

I only getting about 1.5 gallons an hour. That works out to only 36 gallons a day for a 125 gpd rated system.

Something is not right. I will continue to play around with it and see what I can do, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you contacted the seller? They probably get this question all the time and may be able to point you in the right direction faster than the rest of us. You're right, 36gpd is unacceptable for a 125 unit (or a 75 unit, for that matter)!

I just emailed the seller and am waiting to hear back. I will keep you posted.

Well, for the 100GPD, you probably got about 1/2 of it depending mostly on the water pressure coming from your tap/well water, my rate as 85gpd and I I'm getting around 30 at max.

maybe including waste water and purified water it is 125GPD. No where did it say 125 gallons of RO/DI water a day. :)

The output will be a trickle no matter what. Do you know what pressure you are seeing before the unit? You really need about 45-60 psi and to get the quoted GPD, the water has to be a certain temp. Some people actually mix hot water into the RO input because most tap water it too cold. The TDS of your tap water will play a factor as well.

I bought mine from Aquasafe Canada and they have a write up in the auction about varying outputs. I used a booster pump at my previous house just to get a trickle of water out.

If I get home after work and leave my RO/DI on over night, I can fill a 44 gal trash can. Mine is rated at 110 GPD, I think. Not quite the mark but I figure I am close.

It is disheartening to hook one up for the first time to see that little bit of water come out the output! 8O

I am starting to think that it is a water pressure issue. When you first open the valve, the water comes shooting out, then quickly goes to a trickle. I am going to go to HD later and get a gauge to measure the pressure.

Are the booster pumps expensive?

I had a major pressure issue because I am on well water, I jacked up my well pump some and I've been about 30 gallons a day since with my AquaFX Baracudda. 30 gallons a day is plenty for my needs.

The booster pump I got was between $50-80. It is the smaller of 2 that I know of.

The pressure issue when you first open valve is normal. Your system probably has an auto shut off which allows pressure to build after you close the valve. When you open it again, you have that build up to release.

At my last house, I knew the water pressure was low but I did not realize it was that low. The norm for the water company 40-45 but I was at 25-30 psi. Everyone in my neighborhood complained but nothing was done. My new subdivision has a lot of pressure but not too many houses built yet :(

HTH

I bought a gauge from HD to check the pressure at the faucet where the unit was connected, and got a reading of 60 psi. That is well over the minimum for the system. It seems like I should I be getting more than 30 GPD with 60 psi.

Could there be something wrong with the RO membrane?

I have been in contact with the seller via email. he was very helpful, suggesting several potential problems. In the end, he feels that the problem is in the RO membrane. He said to mail it back to him and he will send me another one.

Worst case scenario I get about 20 gallons per day and have to plan ahead. I am going to try and find some type of storage container today to hold about 40 gallons. That should give me a little more freedom incase of the need for an emergency water change and to cover my topoffs.

What i do is keep one or two 5 gallon jugs always full of water, and about 3 days before i want to do a water change i fill my 34 gallon trash can and mix all the salt and throw my heater and a powerhead in it for a day or two then go to town. good luck and keep us posted.

44 gal Rubbermaid Brute trash can. Not the cheapest trash can but it is a food grade container. I got mine at Home Depot.

I had thought about using a rubermaid container or trash can, but with 2 small kids and no real good place to store it, I need a container with a more secure lid/seel.

I found a place that sells 15 gallon food grade water storage barrels for $24.95 new or $15.95 reconditioned.

I would like to keep an extra 15 gallons on hand for an emergency water change if necessary, then use that 15 gallons for my water change and refill the 15 gallon barrel.

How long can you safely store RO/DI the water?

I always have water in mine. Not sure if there is a shelf life or not though.

I have my container in my basement but I don't think my kids could get in it. They are only 2 and 4 though. Lid is tough for me to get off sometimes :)

Back
Top Bottom