RO/DI help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tuwhada

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I just purchased an RO/DI system for my tank and I am a little clueless and confused. I have net hooked it up yet, my hubby plans to help me but I need to know what I have to do. I have heard mixed things so I want to get everybody elses opinion.
Anyway, I was hoping to use the RO/DI for topoffs due to evaporations. So how would that work. I know I would need to add a float valve to my sump correct? I heard there are some that can attach to the sump b/c I can not drill into the side.
Second, When I hook up the RO/DI for this purpose does it go DIRECTLY to the sump OR do I need to use an alternate container?
Third, when I use the RO/DI water do I need to use RO right for the top offs? If so is freshwater ro right the same thing?
Fourth, I do have a 25 gallon container that I have piped directly to the sump. I use that container for the purposes of water changes, so I mix my water and my salt in there with a powerhead and heater and then I just add it to the sump when I do more water change. That is working well, but do I need to use RO right with my water changes.
Ok, I think that is all my questions I have may have some more when I get some answers. Maybe you guys can explain or post pics of some of your setups.

Thanks
Christina

I would install a float valve in a separate container and use it as storage. Then, pull water from it to do top offs. You will not need RO Right for either top off or SW mix. You want pure water for top off. Your salt mix will have everything already in it to set the proper levels in the mixed SW although it's a good idea to check it as salt batches can vary a good bit.

Thank you. When you say check it what do you recommend checking for, I have just been checking the salinity, temp and ph is that enough (on the water change bucket).
Ok so I can't set it up to do the top offs automatically I would still have to do it manually? Or can I also install the float valve in the sump?
Do you think I can use the same container for the top offs as for the water changes, I have limited space where I am working (everything is under the stairs).
Thanks again
Christina

You could probably set up a float valve in the sump so that it will auto top off. I'm not sure where you'd get the float valve though. You can get electronic pressure swithches that go in the sump and control a pump or powerhead that will pump water into the sump. It would be better to have a separate container to mix SW in if you have room.

Back
Top Bottom