RO/DI or Protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nijoe1221

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 29 gallon with 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma and a green BTA. I was wondering if I should get an RO/DI or Protein skimmer for the anemone and why. Please let me know if there's any other information you need and I will throw it in there. Fairly new to saltwater and can take any advice.
Thanks

1.) Make sure you have the requirements for a nem.
2.) EVERY tank should be using RO/DI regardless IMO. It's not something to purchase because of nem, it's something always have :).
3.) You don't need a skimmer for this size tank, so I'd leave it out.

Thanks a bunch. People at the LFS kept trying to sell me the skimmers and said nothing about the rodi system. All it does it take all the bad stuff out of water like phosphates, nitrates, copper, and chlorine?

Rodi takes everything out. Yep, so your not adding things we can't test for to the tank.

Very cool. So would I still need to add prime when I do water changes? I would assume no but don't want to make the wrong assumption

RODI water is the best for mixing new water.
Protein skimmer is the best for keeping the tank water clean.

The most important for a nem, is TONS of light.

Tanks under 30 gallons can get away without a skimmer as it is easy to do larger water changes to bring numbers down if needed.
This will point towards an ro/di being the more important purchase between the two...but then again the lighting should def be upgraded to support an anemone as they require intense lighting to survive.

Tanks under 30 gallons can get away without a skimmer as it is easy to do larger water changes to bring numbers down if needed.
This will point towards an ro/di being the more important purchase between the two...but then again the lighting should def be upgraded to support an anemone as they require intense lighting to survive.

I use a 55-90g protein skimmer on my 20g, I'll never regret this, there's so much gunk coming out there...

You can put a skimmer on them without issue. BUT you don't have to. Some prefer the skimmerless builds on smaller tanks and just do water changes. On a 30 gallon tank, a 10% weekly water change would be 3 gallons. This makes it really easy to increase the amount of water replaced to address parameter issues. Do a 10 gallon water change and that's 1/3 of the water in the tank without even noticing you did a larger than average water change.

Ok gotcha. I always thought my light was enough. Should I do 4 more bulbs or two more?

Yeah, for that price LED would be the way to go. Tao panels for cost effective. I like Kessils for led. It's different, the A360's give you everything too.

Back
Top Bottom