RO/DI problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookman

Aquarium Advice Activist
After filtering my tap water, my RO water has a very low PH. The ph in my tank has lowered too. I have been using kent marine part A and B tech buffer. Think this water has been doing it? I also wanted to see what you think of my fish list. In my 55 gal, I have a 2 inch PBT, 3 green chromis 1 inch, 1 inch percula, 2 inch black occelaris, 2 inch yellow watchman goby, 1 inch sixline wrasse, 3 inch lawnmower blenny. Is that too much. I plan on getting a 90 gallon soon, or maybe a 125.

Test the PH of your water right out of the tap. Test it after it has gone through the RO/DI filter and then test it again after you have a new batch of SW mixed up. Let your new SW mix and aerate for 24 hours before putting it in the tank. Also how much surface agitation do you have in your tank? Do you have the top of the tank covered?

Your salt mix should buffer up the water to "normal" pH. The 2-part additives work on your calcium and alkalinity. While the alkalinity portion will cause a quick increase in pH, it's just temporary. If you read over the links in that other thread, there's several suggestions to troubleshoot low pH issues.

As I said in that other thread, measuring pH of RO water is pretty much meaningless.

Just how low is low? What are your exact readings? Dip strip or liquid test kit?

And yeah... my opinion is you're quite overloaded. 11 fish in a 55g. Yowsa. I thought I was pushing it with 5 fish and a little clown goby in my 46g!

Back
Top Bottom