RO/DI - pumping from basement -pump selection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, so I’m convinced I need a RO/DI water for my FOwLR tank (125 gal). The units are too big to fit under my kitchen sink. I plan on putting the unit in the basement laundry room and using a hose connector to the washing machine hookup to make water as needed. I’ll make a batch to use for top off and carry a few gallons at a time to my top off drip tank.

For water changes my idea is to make up batch and pump it from the basement. Will a Mag Drive 1200 handle a 35’ run with a 10’ height?
It’s rated for 10 feet – 600 gph, Shutoff - 15 feet

A pump with automatic shutoff would be nice. That way I can mix, heat and age the water in a second container in the basement and pump it up from my mix container without burning out a pump (or needing a second person in the basement ready to pull the plug). Any suggestions in that regard?

I’ll be using a Python water changer to remove the water from the aquarium.

It should pump it up there, but it will be slow. As to burning up the pump, it's not going to happen in a short time it takes you to get down the steps and cut the pump off. If it sits there for an hour, yeah...there would be damage. Don't worry about the pump. Just don't let it run dry for more than a minute or two.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom