RO/DI Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ximat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my RO/DI unit off of ebay last week. Got it all setup, followed the instructions but i still have a couple questions.

It takes just under an hour to fill a 38 gallon garbage can. I read that people hate to waste 4 gallons of bad water to make 1 gallon of good water. The drain line on my unit doesn't drain out that much water. Do I have this hooked up wrong? It is a 125 gp/d. What EXACTLY does the gallons per day mean?

Here's the unit i got:

22-03.jpg

Sounds like you have the waste water as your output and your output as your feed! I think you have them backwards. 125gpd means that in 24hrs it will produce 125g of water. That means that it should make 5.2g of water per hour (4x that is 21g of waste, roughly).

looking at that picture, the orange is the input from tap, the red that you can barely see is a drain, and the blue at the top should be to the storage container correct?

Yep, I suspect backwards aswell. It should take around 7 hours to fill your trashcan.

Now im more confused. By reading the instructions i know that the blue tubing is for the "Pure Water Outlet" Peach is the "Waste Water Outlet" and red is the "Fresh Water from faucet"

That's strait from the instructions.

Ximat said:
Now im more confused. By reading the instructions i know that the blue tubing is for the "Pure Water Outlet" Peach is the "Waste Water Outlet" and red is the "Fresh Water from faucet"

That's strait from the instructions.

From what I have read the past few weeks that does sound right.
Seems the standards are as follows:

The red tube is the line that supplies water to the RO unit.

The black tube (sounds like in your case it would be peach) is the drain line for waste water. Simply place this tube in a sink or down a drain and allow the water to flow freely.

The blue tube is your good RO water.

I will know for sure in like a day as I have on the way an AquaFX Mako 5 stage unit. If you are getting almost 40gals in like an hr, there is something wrong as RO/DI units are SLOW. Like Phyl and fishfreek stated, you should only be seeing like 5gals of RO/DI water water an hr and it would take around 7 hrs or so to full up that trash can.

Here is a link that may help you with installing your RO/DI unit...
http://www.melevsreef.com/rodi_install.html

Shawn

Do you have the flush valve open or closed?

Cheers
Steve

Well I got it figured out now. I emailed the seller with my questions and conerns. He was very helpful of course :) When it was shiped to me there were a couple lines connected wrong. Got it figured out now!

Just ordered today the Aquarium RO/DI system from aquasystems on ebay. It is a steal compared to the RO machines you will see at your LFS or on bigals or dr.foster n smith. Hopefully have it by next week.

Back
Top Bottom