Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

RO/DI Question

I just got my RO/DI unit from yesterday and I had a couple of installation questions.

First, I am going to try and plumb it to be semi portable due to remodeling in my house. I can't permanently install it yet. I was going to use the adapter that plugs screws into the faucet.

The unit came with a 2 foot piece of 1/8 inch tubing that is designed to connect to a faucet.

What do I need to use for the tubing to get it to my rubbermaid tub or other storage container?

I thank you and my fish, corals, and inverts thank you.

2 clowns - 1 damsels - 1 royal gramma - 1 coral banded shrimp - 1 cleaner shimp - 1 emerald crabs - assortment of snails and hermits - sandsifting star - orange starfish - 1 hammer - 1 bubble - 1 toadstool - 1 small colony of zoos
SpEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What brand did you get? Most come with output hoses for the starage container.
Can you post a link to the unit you have?

Old 06-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I got it off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...384648808&rd=1

The 1/8 inch piece of tubing I was referring to is the output hose that came with it.

Is this what most people use? I am assuming I could just go to HD and get a longer piece of tubing.

Also, is there some type of valve that I can put on the output hose to turn it on and off if needed?
2 clowns - 1 damsels - 1 royal gramma - 1 coral banded shrimp - 1 cleaner shimp - 1 emerald crabs - assortment of snails and hermits - sandsifting star - orange starfish - 1 hammer - 1 bubble - 1 toadstool - 1 small colony of zoos
SpEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is really all you need. A larger diameter hose will not produce water any faster. It is just a slow process. Keep in mind, for every gal of RO/DI filtered water you get inyour collection tub you will have 4-5gals of waste water going down the drain.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

You can purchase a float switch that attaches to your rubbermaind container and when the water reaches the right level it will shut the ro unit off including the waster water side. I think Kent makes ro float switches.

I mounted mine portable as well, mine is just sitting on a shelf and I bought a y valve for the washing machine feed water faucet that way I don't hog the sink faucet when I'm making water. I also purchased an additional 15 feet of 1/4 inch tubing to reach my holding container. I have the same exact unit as you that I purchased from Ebay it works great you will be happy.

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com