RO/DI Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I finally got around to buying and installing a RO/DI unit for my reef tank.

I bought the RD - 102 from Filters Direct. I thought the instructions were lousey and had a bit of trouble getting it set up. It is rated for 100 gal/day but it runs slower than that on its first day.

The 1/4" plastic tubing that was provided would not work with the provided tube-end inserts and the provided plastic nuts. In the end I used the tubing without the small white end inserts and it seems OK. What's up with that. Is this right?

The drain line produces waayyy more water than the RO/DI line. Lots of wasted water. Is this the way its supposed to be?

If I forget to close the ball valve on the feed line when I'm done, the drain line will pump an unlimited quantity of water (without detection) directly down the drain. :? Is this right?

I plan on producing 5gal per week. How long will the filters last?

I'd appreciate what ever info or feedback you guys could provide, particularely from anyone who has the same or a similar unit.

Ihave the RD-106 model from the same place and it works quite well.

1. Make sure you discard your first five gallon or so... (carbon dust from filters)

2. I didnt use the inserts in mine...no harm yet.

3. Usually its about a 4 to 1 ratio, 4 gallon of waste to 1 gallon usable.Depending on your psi input.

4. ??? does the unit have an auto shutoff ? Do you have it hooked correctly? I dont have a ball valve on the feed line.

5. This is a hard one to answer,it all depends on how bad (quality)your water is.

Do you have a TDS meter? this will tell you how bad your water coming in is and how clean it is coming out the usable side...

Reefbound,

1. Already discarded the first 5 gal, but thanks
2. Why are the inserts supplied if they shouldn't (can't) be used?
3. 4 to 1 waste - Wow, talk about wasteful. And they want you to replace your faucet washers so they they don't drip.
4. No auto shut-off on mine. If I didn't put a feed-line shut off in, the waste line would run 24/7.
5. My water quality is "supposed" to be very high. Lord knows we are certainly paying enough for RO/DI to be coming from the tap.

You can always try to use the waste water if you can. I know people that have their unit in utility room and they have waste water go in their washing machine. I have mine in tool shed and I have it go out in the yard to water the ground and grass. And yes your filters will go bad based on use and water quality.

I got 3 44g trashcans in the laundry room. One for the SW, another for the fresh. The third is for the waste water. Once my wife saw the stuff going down the drain, she insisted on the 4th can. That's the washing machine water. I usually virutally fill up a trashcan when I make water, so the washing machine can't hold all of it. Besides, not all wash is cold water.

2 of the trashcans have wheel dollies on'm so I can wheel the SW or FW (for my 37g reservoir) to the tank and pump it. I keep the pump and a six foot hose attached to it. The pump/hose stays running in the trashcan 24/7 to keep it airated. I roll them to the tank, plug it in, and hose it.

No more carrying buckets! OK, except for the water change buckets that get carried from the tank to the laundry room.

Back
Top Bottom