ro+di questions ?? Help the kid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Looks like a pretty good unit to me. One more stage of carbon that mine has.

)Do I need the in line pressure tank if I am in no hurry?

You mean a booster pump? You only need this if the water pressure going IN to the unit is too low. Typically these are for people on wells as the well pump cannot provide the appropriate water pressure. City water pressure is normally fine. But this is not always the case.

Is the upkeep reasonable on the membranes and such

I would suggest replacing the carbon and sediment filters every 6 months. As for the membrane and DI resin, it would be best to purchase a TDS meter so that you can tell exactly when they have gone bad. Without a TDS meter you are just guessing at when to replace them.

this will kill cyno and green hair ?

It will remove the nutrients that provide these nasty pest algae's with food and fuel. So yes, it does kill them indirectly. It will also prevent any new outbreaks as well.

1)it looks like a nice unit to me. $100 for 110 gpd doesn't sound bad to me either (although i haven't priced them recently so shop around before buying, as always.)

2) the tank is mainly for when people use these filters also for drinking water. It stores a few gallons in the tank, preasurized with air, and it can then dispence enough to cook or have a glass of water quickly. I don't see the preasure tanks being of much use if your sole purpose of the filter is for your fish.

3) I would look around and see what it costs for that exact model. Thats really the only way tell what the upkeep will be.

4) it won't kill them, but it will help reduce the elements that they thrive on. Shortly after switching to RO water the hair algae in my system began to slowly reduce. so it's not an overnight change, but it will help.

t is the unit I have, after getting a bad DI cartridge, then receiving the new one, I am very happy with the unit. I have water coming out of the tap and about 250 TDS, out of the RO at about 20 TDS and after DI I get 0 TDS. As for the pressure tank, if you want to have the drinking water kit, yes you need it. I use it, cause I installed the drinking water kit, another use for it would be to use it in concert with a float switch for automatic top off of your tank, you want the tank so the RO/DI is not coming on and off and on and off. Otherwise, no you don't need it. They do have a cheaper unit that does not come with the storage tank, I'm pretty sure. Email them, tell them what you want and ask what they will do it for you for ;) I got excellent response from them with my emails. They also have a good booster pump and solenoid and pressure switch assembly at an excellent price, if you need one.

kidkameleon3 said:

It looks fine. I prefer units that have clear canisters so you can see the filters, but it's not necessary.

2)Do I need the in line pressure tank if I am in no hurry?

I'm guessing you mean the drinking water tank? You don't need it at all if you intend to only use the unit for your aquarium. This tank is designed to give you drinking water storage...usually mounts under the kitchen sink counter and comes with a small faucet.

I agree with Biggen on #'s 3 & 4.

If this isn't a good unit could someone direct to me to a more suitable unit.

I would look at the Aqua FX units. I know they cost more, but they have some advantages. The mounting bracket is aluminum...won't rust. The larger units have pressure gauges and inline TDS meters included. The canisters are clear. You don't have extra carbon filters to fool with...IMO, these are not needed. The best reason to look at their units is customer support. If you have problems, they will be there to help you. I'm not sure about some of the other companies. I'm not saying the other manufacturers don't have good customer service...just that I haven't dealt with them. JMHO.

well thanx guys that sums it up for me. They also have the none tank unit for $78 I think. I'll end up just getting that one,probably.A guy here locally has a uni the wants to sell ,but I think he is asking to much.

Reefrunner where do you get your supplies from?Membrane etc...

I've only had mine about 3 weeks, and haven't had to replace anything yet. I will look around for the best prices on sediment filters and carbon filters, I'll probably end up buying my replacement parts f4rom one of our sponsors, but for the all out unit + drinking water kit + booster pump assembly.....I couldn't beat the price ;)

ya seems to be a good deal. How did you realize the Di unit was bad?Just testing? I'll buy the tds kit first and test my house water before buying anything.

You recommend any TDS test kit?

Agian thanx for the knowledge

How did you realize the RO/Di unit was bad?Just testing?

The DI was producing water the same or higher TDS than just the RO.

You recommend any TDS test kit?

I use a Hanna hadheld digital TDS meter, that I got from CaptiveRaisedCorals.com. Easy to use and works well.

I use a Hanna hadheld digital TDS meter, that I got from CaptiveRaisedCorals.com. Easy to use and works well.[/quote]

Did you buy the calibration kit for your TDS meter? Was is accurate out of the box?

Thanks,

Van

Was is accurate out of the box?

I polled the people on a couple of different forums and no one has callibrated theirs that I could tell, so not I didn't get the calibration kit. FWIW, it has read RO/DI water of 0 and some RO/DI that I bought with a TDS of 7. Without having gotten the calibration kit, I can't swear to it's accuracy, but it gave me results that were expected for the water it was testing.

Back
Top Bottom