ro/di system info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which system? RO+DI in general? I cant say enough good things about them. Solved alot of little problems I had with algae!
Zero

P.S Be wary of any seller that tells you that you only need to change the filters once per year with "Their brand!". Its not something that can be timed. Spend the extra few bucks and pick up a TDS meter. Its not alot of money, specially when you consider the fact that its cheaper than one decent fish.
Zero

i agree with count i have the same system that he has, it's great! easy to install. and customer support is excellent.

mark

hey zero... how long have you been using that system for. I just bought the same one and am only going to use it for my tank to keep the cost down on filters. Im just wondering if you've had to change the filters more often than expected. I have fairly good tap water here so thats a plus.

I just got that same one from Aquasafe in canada. It is HORRIBLE, it leaks everywhere! In the direction is states not to use teflon tape because it doesn't seal very well with plastic, however all the connections they had done already used teflon tape?? Mine leaked at pretty much every single connector and I was missing a gasket that I had to go buy. I then took off all the teflon tape they had installed and used PVC cement like the directions recommended but it still leaks from some of the quick connectors no matter how much I wiggle them or try to push the hose in farther. So, yesterday I took the unit from under the sink and used silicon aquarium sealant on every single possible spot hoping this will finally fix it.

Hmm, I didnt have any of the problems you have had. I did have several leaks initally, however that is to be expected whenever setting up a new RO unit. I ignored his directions and used teflon tape anyway though, as I have allways had better luck with it than the other stuff. On the quick connects, Try pushing the hose in as far as it will go, then pull it back out a little. That will usually seat them well.
From all the people I have talked with, yours seems to be the exception, not the rule. Did you try calling the seller? He was extremely helpful with me when I called to ask a couple installation questions, he even called me back so I didnt even have to pay for the call!
Let me know how it works out for you.

hey zero... how long have you been using that system for. I just bought the same one and am only going to use it for my tank to keep the cost down on filters. Im just wondering if you've had to change the filters more often than expected. I have fairly good tap water here so thats a plus.

I have been using it for only about 3 months, however so far I have not seen an increase in my minerals based on the readings from the TDS meter and I have VERY hard water. Be sure to flush your membrane about every couple hundred gallons or so, I do it once a month for about 15 minutes.
Zero

I bought the aquasafe system a few weeks ago, seems to be working great.

Before hooking it up, I unscrewed some of the fittings that were not teflon taped and sealed them with a little silicone. The ones with tape (which I thought very strange since they tell you that teflon tape doesn't work very well), I left alone. Hooked it up and had ZERO leaks. Well, the only leak I had was the one hose that I put in and didn't seat fully. Pulled it out, re-inserted it correctly and no problems.

I was a little surprised too at the rate that I am getting water. I've read that the ratings are done with like 70 degree water, if it's colder the rate decreases. Cold as the water is already, I'm guessing I'm getting about 70% of the rated capacity (100gpd).

To this point. I've also found Ed at Aquasafe to be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom