RO/DI unit from filterdirect(ebay)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwish8990

Aquarium Advice Regular
When you first hooked it up... did some dirty black water come out where the pure water is supposed to be coming out of? (blue cord) :?:

The black water stopped after a little while... just curious if anyone else had the same thing happen.

I didn't look, I just let it run for about an hour into the drain. Most people recommend discarding the first 10 gal or so that comes through.

Mine actually had a small leak, but I wiggled the tubes and re-inserted them, and now all is well. I have a 30 gal reservoir at my disposal when I need it.

Good luck.

Hm.. I think you would have noticed this black stuff... it was REALLY dirty. It went away now though.

Oh.. and I keep reading about how people worrying about the water overflowing. The method I'm using is put the 5 gal bucket into the sink and let it fill... if by some strange reason it over flows then the overflow will just go into the sink and drain out like if u forgot the facet on. :roll:

I have my waste water (black hose) going into the same pipe that my washing machine drains into. The good water goes into a 30 gal rubbermaid garbage can with a horizontal mount float switch (also from filterdirect) controlling the flow. Works really well so far. I usually grab 5 gal at a time and it refills nicely to the level of the float switch.

I probably didn't have any black water -may have been some loose resin or something in your line. Have you tested the water for PO4, NO3, etc.? My water is 0 on all of the bad stuff, but I didn't test or TDS - I don't have a way to test and I'm about spent out for now. :)

Mine did the same thing just discard the first few gallons and the rest should be good. I don't have the same filter you have and I was thinking of switching to that one. How does it work and how expensive are the filters? Mine are like $30 and are only good for 125 gallons so was looking for something that would be cheaper in the long run

Yeah it's carbon, not dirt. perfectly normal, and should be gone after the recommended flush period.

Joe: filters are interchangable between brands, generally.

I started using my filterdirect 106 system last week and love it. I also had the carbon discharge at first but it quickly went away :) Only thing is - I didn't realize this thing was this big. Especially with the air tank! I had to cap that part off under my sink because I don't have enough space to use it. I also have the faucet adapter ($8 and $3 shipping is what I was charged) add-on for my system that I bought at the same time as my unit but ended up hard-wiring it to my cold water line. I got the setup from him with the prefilled air tank and the actual ro faucet but I cannot use it due to space. If anyone wants to buy for a nominal amount the tank, hoses, valves, and the faucet adapter - send me a pm.

liquid you have a pm. I have had mine up and running for 6 months and still get <.005 on the tds meter. I had carbon run out when i first hooked it up too, completely normal.

I have had mine up and running for 6 months and still get <.005 on the tds meter. I had carbon run out when i first hooked it up too, completely normal.

I'm glad to read this, as I don;t have a TDS meter, but I do have the filterdirect unit. I realize my source water may be different but at least I know the unit is a decent one.

Back
Top Bottom