Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-01-2005, 01:11 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Feron Send a message via Yahoo to Feron
How about this puppy?

I'd like it to work with my python for tank top offs, but I guess that's not gonna happen...
Guess I need to premix the salt anyhow..

Speaking of which, anyone have some insight on the BEST way to do top-offs?
I'm just getting started and surely don't wanna hurt the fish or scare them with buckets etc...

Feron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:31 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
I am also thinking of getting an RO/DI unit. For the past year we have been buying our water at Walmart and mixing the salt. It's getting kind of old because Walmart isn't that close.

Question for anyone knowledgable in the subject:
I have a 55 gallon tank. We only need about 5 gallons of water a week. These things say they make 85 or 110 gallons a day. I'm assuming we don't have to make that much. How do we manage how much it makes? Will it stop automatically? Ever overflow or leak? That would be a disaster.

54G AGA Corner Tank
Eheim 2215 Canister Filter (w/ live rock rubble in it)
3 Maxijet 1200 Power Heads
Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
DJ a 75 gallon a day unit would be a good unit for you. I understand all too well about lugging jugs of water gets old in a hurry. you cna hook them up to your hose outlet where you washer hooks up or Im sure they make sink hook ups and when you turn on the water they make water and when you shut the water off they stop. Its that easy. Well worth the 100 bucks you will spend on them. check ebay and this stie for good prices on them
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:30 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
I put mine on the kitchen sink. It has a four gallon holding tank and a di unit that is installed on top of the sink. My family uses the di faucet for clean drinking water. The four gallon tank fills up in about an hour or something like that. When it's full, it stops making water. When I want to make salt water, I drain that out into a bucket and an our later I drain it again, so I have eight gallons and so on. I make about 20 gallons of water every couple weeks and store the extra salt water in 1 gallon jugs. Then when I want to use that, I just pour it into a 5 gallon bucket and drop in a heater and powerhead to heat and oxygenate for awhile, than use it that way.

Oh yeah, never had any leaks. I set the whole thing up and then checked all the connections every day for a week as instructed in the manual, since then I've never noticed any leaks.

sdellin is offline   Reply With Quote

ro/di, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com