Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Yep, code only applies when you rehab or construct or add-on. then you must have all new work up to current code.

I already got the supply ran and passed inspection when I rehabbed my house last year so its open season from here on out. inside and out are done and up to code.

MFD its mostly a federal residential code, they all follow the same ground rules so to speak and then add their own codes for its village/town/city.

I dont live IN chicago so yes they enforce code when and only when you apply for a building permit.

That's not a planted tank. That's a jungle with glass around it- MFDROOKIE Circa 2011
WhiteDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
[QUOTE=WhiteDevil;1081792]Bruce, for use in laundry and shower those high TDS are actually helpful. you cant bathe in ro/di water because youd turn into a piece of jerky thru dehydration(water might be wet but with being stripped it will pull the moisture from your body mainly hair and nails suffer first)

RO/DI water will not dehydrate you. Water is water and osmosis will take water from a high concentration (tub of water) to a lower concentration (body).

Salt water will dehydrate you if the concentration of salt is greater than what is naturally occuring in your body.

The cleaner water may more readily absorb natural oils from your body which would affect your hair first but I am not sure about that.

mdaniel2882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
if you own your own home, you can do whatever you want. once the house is built and meets the inspection they dont care anymore... not sure about up there, but down here they dont inspect houses unless you're building/adding/renovating/etc...
Just add snitching to the list and it is the same here.

Modifying the plumbing beyond comparable repair counts as a renovation, and requires a permit. Technically it is unlawful for you or anyone on your behalf to do anything to your house that is against code, and can invalidate insurance coverage. Do people do? Sure. Is it a good idea, hard to say.

The question I have surrounding this setup is backflow prevention. In some areas you need to have outdoor faucets with backflow prevention because there have been cases of contamination of other houses attached to the same water supply. For that same reason I would question the legality and wisdom of the tie in to the fresh water supply without significant backflow prevention, even if it were on a private well.

90 Gal perfecto with fake plants, eight neon tetras, eight cardinal tetras, four delphax corydoras, four paleatus corydoras, six otocinclus, endlers, and endler fry.
18 Gal hagen Fred the Fancy Guppy Memorial Hospital Tank
T Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

ro/di, waste

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com