Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

RO/DI waste water uses

So I just hooked up my RODI 5 stage unit this weekend. I didn't know the ratio of good to waste water before running it for the first time. I was sure something was wrong because I couldn't believe the amount of waste water. I am no tree hugger by any means, but I hate to see one of our natural resources just being wasted by throwing 4 gallons of usable water for a gallon of RODI. I found a very practical use for this since my unit is in my laundry room. I am making a suspension shelf from the joist in the ceiling to support a 50 gallon septic tank. We do on average one load of laundry a day. I am going to plumb a hose to be able to fill the washer after we load the clothes each time. I'll essentially be getting my RODI water for free or my washer water for free. I gess it depends how you look at it.

I was curious what yall did with it. Yes I said Yall!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

thincat does the same thing... melosu58 has his wastewater plumbed in to water his lawn. some people use it to fill their fw tanks. lots of uses, shouldnt be wasted

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
thincat does the same thing... melosu58 has his wastewater plumbed in to water his lawn. some people use it to fill their fw tanks. lots of uses, shouldnt be wasted

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got a 25gpd 4 stage RO/DI unit delivered yesterday, I am getting atleast a 40g holding tank and also once my tank is full the water is plumbed into the house for use, as far as waste water, it is being sent back into our water supply for dishes,laundry showers ect.

with your waste water you can depdnding where you live, route it outside to a rainbarrel to collect the waste water then use it like others said outside the house.
The amount of waste is the only drawback for an RO/DI unit. I got my RO/DI for my fw tanks and am letting the wife have what RO/DI I dont use for drinking water and the ice maker.

just becuase its waste to the RO/DI its not waste at all really, its perfectly good water, more times then not better then what comes from that tap as fresh water.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #5

Have you tested it for TDS before and after? Mine went from 335 TDS from the tap to around 380 as waste from the RO.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bruce, for use in laundry and shower those high TDS are actually helpful. you cant bathe in ro/di water because youd turn into a piece of jerky thru dehydration(water might be wet but with being stripped it will pull the moisture from your body mainly hair and nails suffer first)

wouldnt your ro waste water be loaded with TDS anyways? as waste that only makes sense, they should be flushed out with the waste water and would read higher then what was in there, correct?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Used mine to fill the washing machine. Actually had three trashcans, but I had the room. One was for the filtered water, in which I'd mix the salt or use for topoff, the second was for the waste water to fill the washing machine. The third can was for emptying the tank with old SW, which'd be throw away. It was just easy for me to see the drained water and look at the level exactly where my new SW was. Used to hate it when I took out more than I had to put back in.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
water, it is being sent back into our water supply for dishes,laundry showers ect.
Is that not a code violation?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Dawg View Post
Is that not a code violation?
if you own your own home, you can do whatever you want. once the house is built and meets the inspection they dont care anymore... not sure about up there, but down here they dont inspect houses unless you're building/adding/renovating/etc...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
I plan on running my waste line to two places one will be the dogs water bowls outside and the other will be the pool and or hot tub for summer evap.

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ro/di, waste

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com