RO/DI water same as Distilled????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't believe so. I could be wrong, but I think distilled takes out a lot more nutrience than RO/DI, BUT, I would wait for other's advice.

If it does in fact take out more, it should be okay to mix one's own saltwater, I'd think. Seems like it'd be safer?
I'll wait for some other's input.

Distilled water is absolutely pure (evaporated water I believe?) and RO/DI is just filtered so some elements are still left behind.

I have put some in my tank. I think you and your family might enjoy the taste and the cheaper cost (if you buy a RO/DI device).

I used distilled water as top off for 6 or 7 yrs with no problem. I believe that RO/DI water is better but distilled ain`t far behind. I never had any algea problems when I used it.

i used distilled from walmart for awhile, but when they were out, id have to get it from somewhere else (grocery stores, etc) and that lead to algea problems sometimes.

Not all bottled waters are of equal purity, distilled or not. When in doubt... whip out the trusty TDS pen. All will be made clear.

My water that I used was Food lion distilled for many years. I have a RO/DI unit now. I`m free at last. No more going to the store of LFS.

I have seen the question/concerned raised about possible copper elevations due to the distillation process itself.

Not sure how valid that concern may be,but I've read it a time or two.

SCFatz said:
I have seen the question/concerned raised about possible copper elevations due to the distillation process itself.
I suppose, that would depend on if they used copper tubing.

Yes that is true about the tubing. Like I said I used a gallon a day for 6-7 years with no side effects with water from FL. As Afish said pull out the TDS pen.

Back
Top Bottom