Ro/di water storage question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you can make it air tight then nothing if not lots of movement or better yet bubbler at bottom

I have always heard about making it air tight, or at least putting a lid on the container to avoid anything from falling into your RO supply. But what purpose does a powerhead or a bubbler serve with RO water? I usually use a water pump to mix Saltwater in my 18G tote, but I'm just curious about the RO. Thanks

I truthfully feel that a majority of hobbyists overthink RO/DI water storage. as long as you are using it from week to week, theres nothing wrong with letting it sit, doesnt even have to be sealed closed, but atleast keep some form of a lid over it to keep out contaminants. only thing id add is that youd want to turn on the heater and powerhead/pump the night before a water change so that you dont shock the fish or corals. i dont run my heater 24/7 and i use the mag5 output hose to mix the sw.

I use a 35g garbage pail for my rodi reservoir and a 10g tank with a lid beside my main tank as my ATO reservoir. When it comes time for a water change I use a Rubbermaid bin that holds about 17-18g and heat/mix in that. I have another identical bin I drain the tank into so I can match levels of what comes out and what goes in. As for the ATO I stuck a chunk of eggcrate in my return chamber (nice tight wedge fit) and tie wrapped a chunk of PVC pipe to it that and my ATO drains into that. Cuts down splashing and noise while keeping the hose out of the water to prevent syphon. I was using a maxijet to pump my ATO which was LOUD. Now I have an aqualifter and the only way to know it's working is by the water level dropping in the reservoir. I do have to clean out the 10g ATO reservoir every now and then as it will build up a clear slime over time.

I bought a timer and an aqualift pump and set it all up but every time the timer would shut off it would keep siphoning and I couldn't figure out how to make it stop so I quit messing with it. Any ideas my holding tank is lower than the sump would that make it keep siphoning

yes It would, the tube that runs from your ATO tank to the sump, it needs to be up out of the water on the sump end. if its not, itll just back syphon everytime.

I bought a timer and an aqualift pump and set it all up but every time the timer would shut off it would keep siphoning and I couldn't figure out how to make it stop so I quit messing with it. Any ideas my holding tank is lower than the sump would that make it keep siphoning

I had the same issue I think it's because the water level in the storage container is higher than your sump so even though the pump shuts off, water keeps coming out of the tubing. Same issue happens to me, I just zip tied the airline tubing from the other end up my pump (the one that goes to the sump to fill) higher up on my return line. This way when the pump shuts off, the water stops. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if the ATO container is HIGHER than where the water is going, it will syphon water INTO the tank when the pump shuts off...
if the ATO container is LOWER than where the water is going, it will syphon water OUT of the main tank when the pump shuts down. (this is strictly dependant on if the line is submerged on the main tank side)

I use a 5-gallon bucket I picked up from Firehouse Subs (Their famous pickle bucket). I had to clean it out and let it sit outside to let the pickle smell dissipate, but it works well as I only keep enough on hand to top off my tanks plus a few other uses around the house. If you are only keeping small amounts any bucket made from food grade plastic will work. You can get them at restaurants, restaurant supply stores and even your local home repair store like Lowe's or Home Depot.

+1. I used to work at Fridays, so anytime we emptied a pickle bucket, i took it home. i now have upwards of 12-5g buckets and i got them all for free.

Back
Top Bottom