RO/DI water system - waste water output

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmc

Aquarium Advice Regular
In consideration of installing a RO/DI system I would like to know how much waste water is created per gallon of RO/DI water? :?: Understanding that systems vary - an average is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Ideally its between 4-5gal waste to 1 gal good. The more water pressure you have in your home the better and the more efficent your RO unit will run.

Wow :( That's a lot of water down the drain! I would really like to install a system, but fear this could not be good as I have a septic system. Even running that much water out of the house accross the ground surface could create some problems...

Thanks for the info!

Wow :( That's a lot of water down the drain! I would really like to install a system, but fear this could not be good as I have a septic system. Even running that much water out of the house accross the ground surface could create some problems...

Thanks for the info!

Water is not a problem for septic, it's solids that give you trouble, the water should simply pass through the septic to the drainfield.

Oh, I did not realize that ... thought you could flood the tank. Thinking of that scene in Meet the Parents when Ben Stiller flushed the broken toilet...

Thanks!

Also remember you can use the waste water for other things, watering the garden, watering plants, filling the washer and more.

that waste water probably costs less than the gas it takes to go to the LFS to buy RO water.

jmc,

Regarding RO/DI waste water volume and septic systems, we recently purchased a house and had a local municipal on-site sewage inspector visit for the inspection phase. His advice: "the best way to ensure proper functioning and longevity of on-site sewage systems, septic or cesspool, is water conservation. Run as little volume as possible through the system." While it seems reasonable that waste water would simply flow to the drain field, there must be some reason for the above recommendation. He's the expert, not me. Would suggest you call your local municipality and ask if sending an extra 500 gallons of waste water per month would tax your system. They are usually very helpful. If your system is appropriately sized, I suspect the answer will be "no," but it's worth the call since the downside is thousands of dollars and one heck of a mess. Just FYI. Good luck.

The reason is because, how many time do you just run water down the drain? There is always something in it that is not friendly to the bacteria in your septic that are breaking down the solids. Antibacterial soap, shampoo, toothpase, toilet paper, etc etc etc. Waste water is simply water, nothing added ;)

Now this is where this forum has some definite 'value ad'... not only am I getting excellent aquarium advice, I'm getting very insightful input into the health of my septic system! I'm serious - this is great!

I have a friend who is the septic guy for the county I live in and plan on giving him a call to see what he can add.

As for my tank, its a 46 gal. with sump so roughly 50 gal. I'll only need to produce enough RO water for partial water changes and evap so I think the excess will be negligible, but then again my house is 30 years old so I don't want to take any chances...

Thanks again for the added input to this thread!

- jmc

I am also thinking of getting an RO/DI system. Once the storage tank is full does the system continue to waste water or is it idle until some of the stored water is used(makes the most sense to me)?

-Maximo

Most RO/DI filters these days have an auto shut off when back pressure reaches a certain point, so it should shut off.

Back
Top Bottom