Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2003, 08:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

ro/di water vs tap water

i recently tested my tap water against ro/di water and found that my po4 level in tap water is the same as in the ro/di water, 0.2 ppm. i repeated the test twice and got the same results. my filter system is new though ive run apx 30 gal through it. is this considered a low or normal po4 level? also my tank level is now at 0.1 ppm after running a phosphate sponge for 48 hrs. seems strange that my tank should have a lower po4 level than ro/di water or tap water. could the phosphate be coming from the charcoal polishing filter located after the di filter? is it advised to remove the filter after the di filter?

im all ears

thanks doug

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

What unit do you have? I am not aware of a RO/DI filter that has a polishing unit after the DI filter. The DI should be the final stage of filtration. As for the PO4 are you using a test kit that specifically says it will measure PO4 in FW?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
What unit do you have?
filter direct. found them on ebay
Quote:
As for the PO4 are you using a test kit that specifically says it will measure PO4 in FW?
yes

what do you think?

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:52 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Can you give us a link to the filter you bought?

I think your filter is not doing as good a job as it should and unless it is something simple (I once didn't have the RO membrane seated properly in mine) you should be contacting the manufacturer and find out what's going on with it.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 10:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

the ro part must be working because im getting drastic differences in ph and alk.

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-09-2003, 10:09 PM   #6
cj10488

I would double check the accuracy of your test kit.. What brand is the test kit.. I have the same RO/DI unit and my water is as clean as it can get.. I have tested all levels and I can't find even a trace of po4 when testing the ro/di water..

HTH,
James
Old 12-09-2003, 10:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

its a red sea po4 kit

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-09-2003, 10:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://stores.ebay.com/id=29465710

heres the linkl to filter direct

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 12-09-2003, 10:19 PM   #9
cj10488

Red Sea has always been known to be off.. IMO they are one of the most unreliable test kits out there.. I would suggest getting a Salifert PO4 test kit and rechecking.. FWIW my red sea kit was always reading .25 on the ammonia and .5 on the nitrites.. After I got the Seachem and Salifert kits everything was in check and there was nothing in the tank..

HTH,
James
Old 12-09-2003, 10:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

no, I agree with the original suspicion

the charcoal after the DI is the source of your phosphates

the aquasafe unit I ordered comes with a carbon post-filter, which is designed to "take the edge off" the DI water, so it doesn't taste so terrible... but fish won't be concerned about taste...

I plan on just hooking the carbon filter up to the supply going to the drinking water pressure tank, which I'm going to re-route off the RO output, and save the DI output just for aquaria use

try unhooking your carbon post-filter, and retesting the ro+di water for phosphates - that should either confirm or exonerate the carbon as the source of phosphate!

Tags
ro/di, tap water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com