ro/di water vs tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

douggiestyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
i recently tested my tap water against ro/di water and found that my po4 level in tap water is the same as in the ro/di water, 0.2 ppm. i repeated the test twice and got the same results. my filter system is new though ive run apx 30 gal through it. is this considered a low or normal po4 level? also my tank level is now at 0.1 ppm after running a phosphate sponge for 48 hrs. seems strange that my tank should have a lower po4 level than ro/di water or tap water. could the phosphate be coming from the charcoal polishing filter located after the di filter? is it advised to remove the filter after the di filter?

im all ears

thanks doug

What unit do you have? I am not aware of a RO/DI filter that has a polishing unit after the DI filter. The DI should be the final stage of filtration. As for the PO4 are you using a test kit that specifically says it will measure PO4 in FW?

Can you give us a link to the filter you bought?

I think your filter is not doing as good a job as it should and unless it is something simple (I once didn't have the RO membrane seated properly in mine) you should be contacting the manufacturer and find out what's going on with it.

the ro part must be working because im getting drastic differences in ph and alk.

I would double check the accuracy of your test kit.. What brand is the test kit.. I have the same RO/DI unit and my water is as clean as it can get.. I have tested all levels and I can't find even a trace of po4 when testing the ro/di water..

HTH,
James

Red Sea has always been known to be off.. IMO they are one of the most unreliable test kits out there.. I would suggest getting a Salifert PO4 test kit and rechecking.. FWIW my red sea kit was always reading .25 on the ammonia and .5 on the nitrites.. After I got the Seachem and Salifert kits everything was in check and there was nothing in the tank..

HTH,
James

no, I agree with the original suspicion

the charcoal after the DI is the source of your phosphates

the aquasafe unit I ordered comes with a carbon post-filter, which is designed to "take the edge off" the DI water, so it doesn't taste so terrible... but fish won't be concerned about taste...

I plan on just hooking the carbon filter up to the supply going to the drinking water pressure tank, which I'm going to re-route off the RO output, and save the DI output just for aquaria use

try unhooking your carbon post-filter, and retesting the ro+di water for phosphates - that should either confirm or exonerate the carbon as the source of phosphate!

i removed the charcoal filter and purged the lines albeit not by much and retested. an immediate drop to 0.1 ppm po4. will purge line more tomorrow and see if i get a better reading.

the charcoal after the DI is the source of your phosphates
I got my filter from them as well and I do not have anything after my DI filter.. Your DI filter should be the very last thing your water passes thru.. My filter is a 6 stage and has 5 stages prior to the DI.. I would contact Filter Direct as it sounds like you might have gotten confused with the install directions of the DI filter part.. It took me 30 mins reading the install directions over and over before I comprehended it..

HTH<
James

in the special note where it shows "details of the two filters on top" opt1 and opt2.

i used opt1 because i am not using the system for drinking water and that opt has the post di water go thru the charcoal filter. in opt2 "use for drinking water and aquarium use" the di does not go thru the charcoal filter. i followed the instructions exactly but could still get two different results.

there are only four stages before the di filter but there are a total of six stages when including the di filter and the polishing filter

I just looked thru my install instructions on mine and the below was the only thing that I could find anywhere even close to what you mentioned.. And it shows the DI filter as the final stage as well..

HTH,
James

Here is also a picture of how mine is setup.. Now I have mine setup for drinking water as well but according to the Directions from my understanding is if you are using it for Just Aquarium Use you would remove the final Carbon Filter and put the DI filter in its place..

HTH<
James

was that a special insert( a scrap of paper cut poorly with scisors)? or was that a page in the book? i wish i had my scanner hooked up. i do not have that diagram. oh well you live and learn

doesnt look anything like mine all my fittings where quick connects. i ordered the setup without a tank. how about yourself?

Mine had the tank.. Also that was an Insert in the Manual.. Just a small piece of paper..
darn youre fast!!!!!!!!!!
I can Be

doesnt look anything like mine all my fittings where quick connects
I guess you can say all mine were quick connects as well to a sense.. All I had to do was stick in the hose and tighten down the nut.. Very easy.. My instructions came with and are for the 5 stage ro 585 unit..

HTH,
James

no tightening for me just slide in or out very nice. we obviously got different stuff to some extent

Back
Top Bottom