RO filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While it will make better water than you're getting from your tap, it's not really what is recommended for reef tank use. And there are several things I don't much like about either system.
For reef tanks, it's best to have a system that incorporates a DI chamber so you get water with a TDS of 0-1. A straight RO will usually only give you a TDS of 12-14. A good RO/DI unit will have a sediment filter, a carbon block filter, the RO membrane, and a DI filter. These filters, except for the RO, will be in clear housings so you can see when they're getting dirty. It's nice to have a pressure gauge and TDS meter as well since these allow you to monitor the performance of the unit. Personally, although they are a bit more expensive than the ones you're looking at, I like the Aqua FX units best. You can go to www.aquariumwaterfilters.com to see them or check the sponsor forums here on the site. I don't think the one you're looking at will do what you want it to.

Should I still get it?
I'm not getting into corals, still new to the saltwater thing, probably just LR with a few fish and a cleaning crew.

Like logan said, it is better than no filtration, but it is not as good as a full RO/DI unit. Personally, I think you can do better on Ebay for a better unit.

I agree with logan. i just ordered a four stage RO/DI from my LFS. Got it for cost, plus shipping. It is the Kent Marine Maxxima. I live in an area with high nitrates in the tap water system, therefore, high nitrates in my tank. Adding a DI to the RO is about the only way to get rid of the nitrates. this should also help with some algea control. Shop around, ebay has some good deals...don't forget to visit some of this site's sponsers for wonderful deals. Good luck and let us know what you decide. lando

Back
Top Bottom