Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
RO Filter question

I have an RO/DI filter that has been sitting for about 2 years. i am planning on replacing the sediment, carbon, and DI filters, but my question is do i NEED to replace the RO membrane? i know that i should test for TDS, but i dont have a meter. Since it is a membrane, i would think it should be ok, but would like some advice. i got out of SW a couple of years ago, and just ordered a 24 gallon nano cube, and cant wait to get back into this.

mwrmma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not an expert on this but sitting around for two years or so I think I would replace it.

tonedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Just test with Tds meter. They are fairly cheap. Membrane is probably fine if you didn't use it much. You will need a Tds meter anyways.
Dav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I'm the "Better safe than sorry" kinda person..... if it's been sitting in the canister for 2 years unused, there are possibly deposits on it that could've damaged the membrane. A TDS meter is cheap on Amazon, and that's the only way you'll truly know. But, IMO, the cost of a new membrane is far less than the headache that could ensue from being cheap now.......
Wanna calculate the cost of that new reef tank?? Take your worst nightmare, double it, and you're halfway there.
Phranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The membrane is far more expensive than a TDS meter. They run about 10 to 20 bucks on eBay.
willbratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
You need the TDS meter anyway so why not get it now and see if your filters are still any good? However, if the RO/DI had been used and then set aside for that long, using them again is unwise without replacing all the filters including the membrane. I'm sure you are aware that stagnant water can develop toxic elements.

"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion". George Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com