Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-19-2004, 08:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
RO filters?

Is it necessary and worth it to get an RO or DI filter, if so could you give a link to a good one. Can I just use conditioner. I live in miami which has basic but relatively safe water.

seafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm really confused on the whole thing too. I've been given mixed advice. Some say that ro/di water is the only safe thing to do, but the lfs says that it removes too many beneficial elements and that i should use treated water....?

mattmku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 09:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
It all depends on the quality of your tap water. You may have contaminants in there that you can not easily test for. I would recommend getting a report from your local water company and go from there. I have a small tank and my tap water is soft so I use a TWP, and it works fine for me. Other folks with harder water will find that a RO unit is more economical. If you are having success using tap water I would say don't bother. But as soon as you have chronic algae problems, trouble keeping invertibrates alive, etc., the first thing to examine will be your water source.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Matt i wonder if thats why them snails wont stay alive worth a darn...and today when i was doing a water change on your tank i found some of that slim stuff but i got almost all out i think...also added a power head in there. Also i found a pretty dang big star fish today in your tank
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com