RO filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seafan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it necessary and worth it to get an RO or DI filter, if so could you give a link to a good one. Can I just use conditioner. I live in miami which has basic but relatively safe water.

I'm really confused on the whole thing too. I've been given mixed advice. Some say that ro/di water is the only safe thing to do, but the lfs says that it removes too many beneficial elements and that i should use treated water....?

It all depends on the quality of your tap water. You may have contaminants in there that you can not easily test for. I would recommend getting a report from your local water company and go from there. I have a small tank and my tap water is soft so I use a TWP, and it works fine for me. Other folks with harder water will find that a RO unit is more economical. If you are having success using tap water I would say don't bother. But as soon as you have chronic algae problems, trouble keeping invertibrates alive, etc., the first thing to examine will be your water source.

Matt i wonder if thats why them snails wont stay alive worth a darn...and today when i was doing a water change on your tank i found some of that slim stuff but i got almost all out i think...also added a power head in there. Also i found a pretty dang big star fish today in your tank :eek:

Back
Top Bottom