RO Millipore water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisheye

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I work in a molecular biology lab and I have access to all sort of chemicals and reagents. In the lab we use RO water as source of deionized water (Millipore system, 10,000$ machine) and I am wondering if there is any way I can use this water in my saltwater tank. The Millipore unit is unfortunately (for me) connected to a pre deionized water and this made the water molecular biology grade (it is 100% pure H2O , no other ions unfortunately). Is there any informations around how I can supplement this water with minerals and use it in my aquarium ?

Thanks

No reason why you can't use this type of water for your tank. It's basically a void so it adds nothing other than what you need, H2O. With water changes, the synthetic salt should provide all the elements required. For top offs, the additions are typically such a small % it will not affect anything. As the tank water evaporates, it concentrates the elements within the tank, adding the pure water will simpley bring it back to where it should be.

Just don't drink it 8O

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom