Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

RO Purifier question

I recently purchased a Coral Life RO unit. After two weeks I noticed by PH was starting to drop. So I performed another water change. After testing the water I noticed a lower PH. After hours of questioning my life I tested the RO water before adding salt an noticed it was at about 6.1. I called my lfs that I purchased it from and they told me it was quite normal for that to happen(you think he would have told me prior to buying it, I blame myself too for lack of research) I used "kent" buffer in my aquarium tank and it brought it back to normal. My question is do I have to do this every time now or is there an easier way. The guy at lfs told me to add buffer to the RO water as I'm adding salt to it. What do you guys/gals do??

Old 08-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you tested your alk if thats low it will let your ph drop and not stay stable. As far as your ro water I dont think it should be that low someone correct me if im wrong but I dont think its is

Old 08-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alk seems fine I just don't understand when Ph drops after water runs through RO filter. I've googled it and noticed a lot of other people have this problem. So at least I know I'm not the only one
Old 08-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...3&pcatid=19753
Check out this stuff its works awsome its like a all in one type thing. Rasies ph adds calcium and stablizes alk. I have a 30gal reef and its works awsome. The only critic I have for it is iys compicated to use I finly got a good doseing scedual
Old 08-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Regardless of the outcome, you'll be replacing that unit the first time you need a new RO membrane. It actually costs more for the replacements than a new system.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com