RO question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT79

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will an RO unit w/ a TFC membrane, get rid of all the chlorine/chloramine in tap water or should an additive be used? TIA

Will an RO unit w/ a TFC membrane, get rid of all the chlorine/chloramine in tap water or should an additive be used

Chlorine is removed by the carbon prefilter, chlorine is detrimental to a TFC membrane. I am not sure whther the carbon will remove the chloramine or not.

I have been doing a bit of reading outside of the aquarium world about chlorine and chloramines and most of the referencs are saying to check with your local water supplier/utility, and find out whether or not they have chloramine as an additive in the water supply... If they do, they recommend placing 2 carbon prefilters before the membranes.. I don't know much about this, as I do not use an RO unit for my tank.. But from what I understand, there are 2 different densities for the carbon prefilters. the first should be less restrictive then the second... I hope this makes sense...I will look again for the links I used reading... I did not save them.....

That would make sense, the first carbon filter would break the bond and leave the components, chorine and ammonia, the second would remove the chlorine, the ammonia would be removed by the membrane.

Back
Top Bottom