Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-11-2004, 02:28 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Originally Posted by pondmom
So whats a good unit to purchase?
Is it pretty easy to install?

As far as vending machines, I've "never" seen them here in Minnesota
In sizing a RO unit you need to first think about how many GPD you want. GPD is Gallon Per Day if you had not known it. Most units are in 25GPD incraments so they would be 25,50,75 or 100GPD. Depending on how much water you need to make up and how frequently you are doing water changes you could get by with a lower GPD unit maybe.

I like 100GPD units just because of the speed they get things done. I can fill my 30gal trashcan for water storage in 6-8 hours on average.

The second thing to look at is the # of stages. Most RO units are at least 3 stages and some are as many as 6. The differnt stages will consist of different filter media. Often you will have a sediment filter that is rated for X microns and a carbon filter and then your RO membrane. On a 4 stage unit you might have a DI membrane or a secondary carbon filter or a secondary sediment filter.

The above link has some good informational articles. AquaFX also is a sponsor and a few of our other sponsors Captive Reefs and Captive Rased Corals carry their RO units aswell. You should be able to find a decent 4 stage unit for under $150.

I like to tell people not to see the RO unit as an expense but as an investment in pure water. Water not only for your fish but for you aswell. We have a chilled jug of RO water in the frige at all times.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com