RO question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do a search on this topic. There was a recent poll.
I started with tap water and used Amquel till I bought a RO/DI unit.

I started my tank with tap water but got sick of the algae. Then i used RO/DI water you can buy from vending machines at grocery stores. I used this water untill i was able to get a ro unit at my house. RO water is the way to go. :wink:

I started my tank with tap water but got sick of the algae. Then i used RO/DI water you can buy from vending machines at grocery stores. I used this water untill i was able to get a ro unit at my house. RO water is the way to go.
I am using grocery store RO now and it's makeing a HUGE difference in reducing algae.

Another vote for RO.

We buy ours from our LFS simply because we live in an apartment and can't install an RO unit. Only 4 months though until we move into a house... then RO unit, here we come. :D

You might just have never noticed them before. Alot of grocery stores sell water from machines either inside or outside their stores. Most People use them for drinking water and thats how they are advertised. If you see one, check the machine and it should tell you if the water is R/O water.

pondmom said:
So whats a good unit to purchase?
Is it pretty easy to install?

As far as vending machines, I've "never" seen them here in Minnesota :?

In sizing a RO unit you need to first think about how many GPD you want. GPD is Gallon Per Day if you had not known it. Most units are in 25GPD incraments so they would be 25,50,75 or 100GPD. Depending on how much water you need to make up and how frequently you are doing water changes you could get by with a lower GPD unit maybe.

I like 100GPD units just because of the speed they get things done. I can fill my 30gal trashcan for water storage in 6-8 hours on average.

The second thing to look at is the # of stages. Most RO units are at least 3 stages and some are as many as 6. The differnt stages will consist of different filter media. Often you will have a sediment filter that is rated for X microns and a carbon filter and then your RO membrane. On a 4 stage unit you might have a DI membrane or a secondary carbon filter or a secondary sediment filter.

http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/Library/Library.html

The above link has some good informational articles. AquaFX also is a sponsor and a few of our other sponsors Captive Reefs and Captive Rased Corals carry their RO units aswell. You should be able to find a decent 4 stage unit for under $150.

I like to tell people not to see the RO unit as an expense but as an investment in pure water. Water not only for your fish but for you aswell. We have a chilled jug of RO water in the frige at all times.

Back
Top Bottom