Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

RO unit problems

I just got a D-D (Deltec?) 3 stage Ro unit, pre-filter, carbon, & membrane, anyways, how do you connect the thing up?

I connected the pipe from an outside tap to the pre filter, and attached the flow restrictor to the waste pipe. as far as I can tell its working (I don't have a TDS meter but the water tastes pure, unlike the tap water that tastes like liquid metal), the problem is the water that I am getting is literally dripping from the pipe, the tap is on full. should the flow restictor be open or close? why isn't it working? any help would be great. I really need it to fill up my 85 gallon tank + 15g 'fuge.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Dripping is about right. It will never "flow" out of the tube. Also,taste is no indicator. A TDS meter is the only sure way.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know I probably should pick up a TDS meter, anyways, I know they produce alot more waste water than pure, however I thought there should at least be a steady flow, its supposed to do 42 gpd, if it even managed 30 gpd it should take no more than 4 days to fill the two tanks, I cannot even see it doing this in less than a month, it is actually leaving the tube drip by drip. is this really how it's supposed to work?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

No it should be a staedy stream. What kind of water pressure do you have in the house? City or well water? Also did you tap into an existing line or did you do a T fitting?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nevermind, I got it working, I had a sample tested at the LFS (TDS), and it read 40, is this acceptable?
Old 08-19-2006, 11:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

40, that is too high. test the in coming water too. My in coming water is 44 and the output is 1. You may have the tubes hooked up wrong. Can you posts pics?
Old 08-19-2006, 09:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

is 40 extremely high? only I really do not want to buy a new RO unit, refill the 100 gallons that have taken 2 days already, i'm not sure what my tap water is but i'll have it tested at some point, living close to London, I can probably assume the tap water is terrible anyway (at least a few hundred), plus I know the water is very hard, would it even be possible to lower this much more?

Tags
ro unit, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com