Ro water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruple1984

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi new to saltwater tanks but our fish store has told us to get Ro water from them and I didn't realize we were out of it well the store isn't open today and my tanks water level is low so my question is can I add tap water as Ro water I do have some prime water conditioner i use for our freshwater tank it says for either salt or fresh but I just don't know what Ro water is so needed a little help! Thanks in advance :)

You can't use tap water as RO water. RO water is filtered by reverse osmosis. RO water is just water that has the bad stuff already filtered out. You can use tap water as TOP OFF water if you use the appropriate dechlorinator (like prime). You can also go to your local walmart or food chain and buy their bottled RO water.

You can use distilled water if your stores don't have RO water.

Maya said:
You can't use tap water as RO water. RO water is filtered by reverse osmosis. RO water is just water that has the bad stuff already filtered out. You can use tap water as TOP OFF water if you use the appropriate dechlorinator (like prime). You can also go to your local walmart or food chain and buy their bottled RO water.

I wouldn't use TAP water for anything! Even with a dechlorinator ..... Since tap water has many other toxins for fish like : floride,phosphates,rust, lots and lots of other chemicals .....
Ro/DI water or I use distilled water and never had a problem. :)

I didn't say I recommended it... Just that people can. My main point here was to point out the difference between top off water and RO water. The original post wanted to use tap water as RO water. We have a 6 stage RO unit here.

Maya said:
I didn't say I recommended it... Just that people can. My main point here was to point out the difference between top off water and RO water. The original post wanted to use tap water as RO water. We have a 6 stage RO unit here.

I'm not trying to be a water police :) but I feel no TAP water should be used in a saltwater setup, be it top off cause everything in that TAP water will build up on that aquarium and be hard to get out in the future ......

+1 for ro/DI water
If you want a good top of water
+1 for distilled water ....
Sorry didn't mean no harm , I still drink off my tap water lol

DA fisherman said:
I'm not trying to be a water police :) but I feel no TAP water should be used in a saltwater setup, be it top off cause everything in that TAP water will build up on that aquarium and be hard to get out in the future ......

+1 for ro/DI water
If you want a good top of water
+1 for distilled water ....
Sorry didn't mean no harm , I still drink off my tap water lol

Shouldn't *** :)

When we changed from our store bought RO water to the RODI unit we have now, we had began developing a fairly massive hair algae crop. It's now dying off. The stores RO water came with a phosphate reading of greater than .25. It does make a huge difference in water quality! The lady that we bought our tank from used tap water. Everything looks way better now and is thriving.

Back
Top Bottom