ro water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish geek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what is ro water and what is the purpose of using it? my tank is 2-3 months old now and i want to get rid of my red slime and hairy algae that is slowly consuming everything.obviously i use tap water with a chlorine remover wich i let sit for a few days.

thx in advance nick

R/O water is water run thru a reverse osmosis filter. It will remove about 95% of all total dissolved solids from tap water. A deionization (di) filter which is usually the final stage filter in a r/o unit will remove the final 4%-5% of tds to give you pure water.

If you can't afford an RO/DI unit go to a store that carries camping supplies and get drinking water jugs. I don't mean the bottles for an offce style water cooler (jerry can style). Take them to the water machines at the gricery store and fill them up there. That is what I have been doing, but I just ordered an RO/DI unit on Friday (figured it would save money in the long run).

The water cooler bottles cost $10 - $12 for 5 gallons and the jugs cost $5 - $7 for 6 gallons.

is spring, drinking, or distilled water good as well? Im talking about the 1 gallon jugs that sell for 89 cents.

If you want to check your water source, mix up salt water and airate it for a day. Then test the water for tds, phosphates and copper to make sure the water is ok. If not try t find another water source.

To check my RO unit is working properly, what should I test for?

Phosphates, copper, magnesium, chlorine...

Back
Top Bottom