RO water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwrmma

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there first time on this forum and it seems like a great place for information. Just wondering if anyone has any views on using RO water for a 90 gal FOWLR tank. it used to be a freshwater tank, but i am in the process of converting to SW, and i want to know if it is really that big of a difference to ordinary tap water. also, if anyone has any suggestions for me just starting out, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Tap water can contain heavy metals, nitrates, phosphates and a bunch of other things that will effect the tank.
RO is better then tap water but can also contain phosphates and nitrates, RO/DI is the best water you can get for your tank. The filters can be bought for around $100 and is a great investment if your getting into the hobby.
Using bad water can effect coral growth and will promote algae growth.
Read, read and read some more before you jump into the hobby. A little knowledge goes a long way in this hobby.
Also cutting corners in the beginning will more then likely cost you more money in the long run, oh!! and more headaches..
what type of tank are you thinking about? Live rock?
Lights, sump, skimmer?? What type of fish do you want to keep?? Any info will get a better response.

i would rather not have to change my lighting fixture, so what i was thinking of doing was just some fish, some anenomes, and some live rock. i really dont know what kind of fish, but since this is my first time doing sw i would think that i should try some fish that are easier to maintain. what do you suggest that i do as far as getting an ro unit? what type of anenomes could i get and what types of fish are heartier than others. Thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated. also if you know of a good website to buy an ro unit if i do get one, and a skimmer for when i eventually do need one. also any lighting suggestions would be appreciated.
again, thanks for the help.

for a 90 your going to need some real good lighting for an anemone. Being a deep tank your probably want to look into metal halide.
LR is needed at least 1-2 lbs per gallon.
there are some good deals on ebay for ro/di units... remember that ro and ro/di are different so you need to ask for ro/di not just ro.
Also anemonies need a mature stable tank so don't think about adding one right away, waiting 9-12 months is best.
Stay away from dmasels becasue they are mean little fish, chromis and clown fish are good starters.
keep doing the research on this site... there are tons of posts about new tank set ups.

The advisor is definitely right about the water. IF YOU USETAP OR ro you will experience algea problems that will plague your tank. Read, Read and read

thanks for the advice. what would you say is a good buy on an ro/di unit on ebay? and are there any brands you guys suggest? if i only stay with fish for the first 9 to 12 months like you said, i could also wait on a metal halide too correct?
again, many thanks

for a fo-fish only the lighting is not as important and you can use the regular florescent bulbs found on FW tanks. You may want to get a better bulb then most fW tanks run, with better bulbs you will get the nice colors of the fish and LR to come out.
I use the URI bulbs on my FO tank.
there are several posts on ro/di units on ebay now just search on the forum and you will find them

Back
Top Bottom