Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2004, 11:22 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

RO water and Phosphate

With all the talk of cyano outbreaks, I have noticed that my red slime problem seems to be getting worse too. I siphon the stuff and it is back the next day. I have tried the many tips and such with feedings, water flow, etc. but never actually purchased a PO4 test kit.

I bought one at the LFS today. It is made by aquarium Pharm but it is all they had. I am getting a reading of .5 in the tank and also in my RO/DI water! I tested the water in my holding container and right from the hose itself. Can I do a membrane flush to fix this? Now that I think about it, since I have been making my own water, the cyano has really seemed to get a good foothold on my tank!

What can I do here?

BTW, I have the 100 gpd system from Aquasafe.

Thanks

Old 08-12-2004, 11:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

It sounds like your DI resins are spent and need to be replace. The RO membrane doesn't affect Phosphates....it's the DI cartridge that does.

MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Personally I would run some phosphate remover for a little while, and keep syphoning. Just do this for a wek or so as patience is sometimes the key.

I'm not sure about the RO/DI filters ablity to remover Phos from the water, but you only need a very small amout to fuel algae.

John
marppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I have a similar problem. I have a 2 stage RO unit. I just added a 3rd stage, a deionizer. It brought my source water PO4 from.25 down to nearly 0.
Just a though, cost me $50 but if it fixes the problem it will be worth it. I have tried everything else.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I am running seachem phosguard - have been for about a week. My DI cartridge is only about a month old. Should not be spent, really. I have some spares so I could give it a shot.

I read that quarryshark had a phosphate issue and he added a DI cartridge to his RO unit and it took care of it.

If I swap out the DI cartridge do you have to run water through it before using it?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nope....However, before replacing resins that are only a month old, verify that your test kit is reading properly.
MantisFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:25 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
verify that your test kit is reading properly
LOL, not sure how to do that other than order a different kit Maybe the LFS can test for PO4. I'll have to see tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck Ellis. Keep me posted. I'm interested to see how it turns out. I will keep you posted as well. This is one of those pain is the backsides.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:08 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Any RO experts know if the DI filter is what removes the phosphates? I have a final carbon stage that is for taste. I do use this even though I don't need to. This would not cause any issues would it?

I am going to try and take some water in to a LFS today but I don't know what kit they use. Usually Aquarium Pharm. Could I get some distilled water from the grocery and test that? Would that be a good enough test to see if the test kit I have is accurate?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I tested my RO vs my tap water vs my system water to see if there is a different. There was a big difference.

Tags
phosphate, ro water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com