RO water BAD for SW fish? wow...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mistermismatch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was at home depot today getting plumbing pieces for my newest project when i overheard someone asking an employee about RO units. he claimed to have the same one on the rack at his house and he uses it for his SW fish tank. the employee then began to reprimand (sp?) him for using RO saying that fish will die within a matter of days in RO because natural water has "stuff" in it that fish need that RO removes. Then the employee went on to say how he had a 400gal reef tank so he knows what hes talking about. i later caught a piece of the convo where the employee mentioned his tank randomly crashed one week. you would think employees would know what they are talking about right? that why i never ask for help at stores.:?

There's some truth to this in a FW tank. I dunno about fish dieing because of it, but it's not preferred to use RO or DI water in a freshwater aquarium.

The difference in SW is the salt mix is supplying the elements we want into the water, without all the elements we don't want. The RO/DI process basically gives us a clean slate of water to mix in what we want, which is accounted for in the salt mixes.

The best mixture is 80% RODI and 20% treated tap water. This will give the elements needed from the fresh water along with the salt mixture elements will give you the best water for your fish. I have never heard of fish dying do to RODI water in SW set up, it would most likely be other parameters within the water. It is true however for FW, but it is still a good idea to do a 50/50 mix.

The best mixture is 80% RODI and 20% treated tap water. This will give the elements needed from the fresh water along with the salt mixture elements will give you the best water for your fish. I have never heard of fish dying do to RODI water in SW set up, it would most likely be other parameters within the water. It is true however for FW, but it is still a good idea to do a 50/50 mix.
I don't see how 20% tap water for SW has any benefits. All the minerals needed should be in the salt mix.

As for FW, pure RO is a killer because of the lack of minerals. A 50:50 mix can be used like you said if you need to lower your TDS for whatever reason.

--Adeeb

The best mixture is 80% RODI and 20% treated tap water. This will give the elements needed from the fresh water along with the salt mixture elements will give you the best water for your fish....

Huh?

What elements in tap water are needed, that aren't supplied by the salt mix?

I work for a large water municipality and I can guarantee you there is nothing good in tap water for a reef. The compounds added are good for humans but bad for our reefs. Things like Nitrates, phosphates, silicates, flouride, chlorine, Ammonia and various heavy metals. I recommend 100% RO/DI. At least that`s the only thing that`s in my tank. Do me a favor and dont rely on your Home Depot salesman for aquarium advice. Stick to your LFS and people on this site.

My LFS told me the water in Vegas is very hard, which is a good thing when starting a SW tank, since I won't need any buffers. In my startup, I didn't have any problems and everyone is healthy. Although now I have RO/DI water because I want corals!

My LFS told me the water in Vegas is very hard, which is a good thing when starting a SW tank, since I won't need any buffers. In my startup, I didn't have any problems and everyone is healthy. Although now I have RO/DI water because I want corals!

I was told something similar to that from my LFS here. That is why i relayed the same info. I started all of my tanks out that way 80% rodi and 20% treated tap water. Anyways after reading more about it after the responses I got on here I would suggest only RODI unless your tap water tests well on your TDS meter.

I was told something similar to that from my LFS here. That is why i relayed the same info.

With similar info at LFS, I would believe there is some truth to this; however, I know I'm going to trust someone :)ahem:... Mike) who has worked for an actual water company. :D Since I heard this a few months ago, I'm 100% for RO/DI.

It`s a good idea to use RO/DI water. I really dont think nothing will happen right away but I do believe that over a period of time these heavy metals and compounds will like cause problems if not a crash. I really dont have proof but just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom