Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post

Thanks, good info.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Basically what is the ideal depth for the substrate in my 80G reef tank and is crushed coral, sand or a combination the best? I have the substrate from my old setup (crushed coral mostly) but is it a good idea to reuse it considering the organic material left in it from before or can it be effectively washed by flushing it with water and agitating it at the same time?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance2011 View Post
I am not familiar with the term "Makeup water", is this the same as "top off water"? Also do I really need TDS at zero?
Yes, they are the same. No, you don't really need TDS at zero unless you stopped doing the water changes you need to make for other reasons anyway.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance2011 View Post
Basically what is the ideal depth for the substrate in my 80G reef tank and is crushed coral, sand or a combination the best? I have the substrate from my old setup (crushed coral mostly) but is it a good idea to reuse it considering the organic material left in it from before or can it be effectively washed by flushing it with water and agitating it at the same time?
What are your goals for the tank? A sand sifting critter will not be happy with crushed coral, but crushed coral is easier to clean than sand. Reusing old substrate from an active tank is fine. You may have another cycle after doing so, as the deeper buried organics get stirred up into the aerobic zone, so I would be careful about adding it if the tank is already occupied. Flushing out the excess organics might wash off or chlorinate the friendly bacteria. If adding to an established tank that might be a good thing, but if trying to get a new tank to cycle faster it would not be a good thing.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I had an RO/DI question if that's alright. I have a new 150 gph 6 stage RO/DI and I really want to hook it up. The issue though is that I'm moving across the country in about a month. Will I have to buy new filters if its unhooked for a week during the move or can I hook it up at the new house as is?

Thank you
Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
no you dont need to buy new fllters just pack it up and hook it back up after you get settled maybe throw away the first few gallons after you move but even that probably isnt needed but it couldnt hurt lol
Old 06-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

+1 Hackteck

The unit and filters should be fine. I would also throw out a few gallons of new water after your arrival, can't be too safe in my opinion.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

That's pretty sweet news! I'm going to hook it up tonight after work. Thanks for the quick response Hackteck and Carey.

Tags
ro water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com