RO water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sundance2011

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My RO water out of the RO system is 1-2 TDS but if i take it from the tank outlet it is around 20 TDS. I recently cleaned the tank and I am guessing the small about of tap water left in there is the reason for the high TDS. What is the best course of action to get it down (or is 20 TDS OK)? Should I just run a few batched of RO water and see if it comes down?

Thanks

Tank Outlet? Is this the filter outlet leading to the tank, or line coming from the tank? The water in your tank is never going to be low TDS, there are live critters in there that you're feeding on a regular basis.

the tds should be 0 on makeup water, if you have 1-2 tds the next time you do a water change you will go from 20 to 21-22. do you run a di or is it just ro? RO usually from what I hear does not get all the tds out the di finishes getting what the RO leaves behind. You will always have tds in your tank because of the salt, sand, etc. in the water. Worry about your make-up water being 0. I would replace the RO membrane and invest in a DI to add to it

1-2 is pretty close to 0. I get water machine water, and the inspection label says ~7 TDS. Either is way better than tap.

mine is 2tds most times i have an RO unit without the DI and i have no algae problems tanks been setup for going on 7 months

Thanks for the advice. It did create some new questions. I am not familiar with the term "Makeup water", is this the same as "top off water"? Also do I really need TDS at zero? I know the lower the better and zero if desirable but from 146 in my case for tap to 1 or 2 sounds very excitable. Aren’t the TDS dissolved minerals in the water at parts per. million? So there is the possibility that the 2 parts are minerals I am just going to add at a higher level when I make my salt mix. If There are harmful components like arsenic, lead, zinc I think they will have already been removed by the water dept. Maybe a little chlorine but would 2 PPM be a problem? I may be totally off on this, just my idea of how it all works

I do have new filters on the way but did not get the RO membrane as I was told that if the TDS was not more than 10% of the raw water it was OK, but they may be thinking in terms of drinking water and not aquarium water.

i doubt you will have any issues at 2tds like i said mine is 2tds and pretty much like you without the RO my water is around 140TDS

Thanks all, looks like the general feeling is that my RO is good to go.

Can we change subjects or should i do another thread? I have some questions about substrate, crushed coral or sand, how deep?

Basically what is the ideal depth for the substrate in my 80G reef tank and is crushed coral, sand or a combination the best? I have the substrate from my old setup (crushed coral mostly) but is it a good idea to reuse it considering the organic material left in it from before or can it be effectively washed by flushing it with water and agitating it at the same time?

I am not familiar with the term "Makeup water", is this the same as "top off water"? Also do I really need TDS at zero?
Yes, they are the same. No, you don't really need TDS at zero unless you stopped doing the water changes you need to make for other reasons anyway.

Basically what is the ideal depth for the substrate in my 80G reef tank and is crushed coral, sand or a combination the best? I have the substrate from my old setup (crushed coral mostly) but is it a good idea to reuse it considering the organic material left in it from before or can it be effectively washed by flushing it with water and agitating it at the same time?
What are your goals for the tank? A sand sifting critter will not be happy with crushed coral, but crushed coral is easier to clean than sand. Reusing old substrate from an active tank is fine. You may have another cycle after doing so, as the deeper buried organics get stirred up into the aerobic zone, so I would be careful about adding it if the tank is already occupied. Flushing out the excess organics might wash off or chlorinate the friendly bacteria. If adding to an established tank that might be a good thing, but if trying to get a new tank to cycle faster it would not be a good thing.

I had an RO/DI question if that's alright. I have a new 150 gph 6 stage RO/DI and I really want to hook it up. The issue though is that I'm moving across the country in about a month. Will I have to buy new filters if its unhooked for a week during the move or can I hook it up at the new house as is?

Thank you

no you dont need to buy new fllters just pack it up and hook it back up after you get settled maybe throw away the first few gallons after you move but even that probably isnt needed but it couldnt hurt lol

+1 Hackteck

The unit and filters should be fine. I would also throw out a few gallons of new water after your arrival, can't be too safe in my opinion. :)

Back
Top Bottom