Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

RO water question

My RO water out of the RO system is 1-2 TDS but if i take it from the tank outlet it is around 20 TDS. I recently cleaned the tank and I am guessing the small about of tap water left in there is the reason for the high TDS. What is the best course of action to get it down (or is 20 TDS OK)? Should I just run a few batched of RO water and see if it comes down?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank Outlet? Is this the filter outlet leading to the tank, or line coming from the tank? The water in your tank is never going to be low TDS, there are live critters in there that you're feeding on a regular basis.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

the tds should be 0 on makeup water, if you have 1-2 tds the next time you do a water change you will go from 20 to 21-22. do you run a di or is it just ro? RO usually from what I hear does not get all the tds out the di finishes getting what the RO leaves behind. You will always have tds in your tank because of the salt, sand, etc. in the water. Worry about your make-up water being 0. I would replace the RO membrane and invest in a DI to add to it
Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

1-2 is pretty close to 0. I get water machine water, and the inspection label says ~7 TDS. Either is way better than tap.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
mine is 2tds most times i have an RO unit without the DI and i have no algae problems tanks been setup for going on 7 months
Old 06-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice. It did create some new questions. I am not familiar with the term "Makeup water", is this the same as "top off water"? Also do I really need TDS at zero? I know the lower the better and zero if desirable but from 146 in my case for tap to 1 or 2 sounds very excitable. Aren’t the TDS dissolved minerals in the water at parts per. million? So there is the possibility that the 2 parts are minerals I am just going to add at a higher level when I make my salt mix. If There are harmful components like arsenic, lead, zinc I think they will have already been removed by the water dept. Maybe a little chlorine but would 2 PPM be a problem? I may be totally off on this, just my idea of how it all works

I do have new filters on the way but did not get the RO membrane as I was told that if the TDS was not more than 10% of the raw water it was OK, but they may be thinking in terms of drinking water and not aquarium water.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

i doubt you will have any issues at 2tds like i said mine is 2tds and pretty much like you without the RO my water is around 140TDS
Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #8

Thanks all, looks like the general feeling is that my RO is good to go.

Can we change subjects or should i do another thread? I have some questions about substrate, crushed coral or sand, how deep?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What is TDS? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Old 06-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

sure ask away

Tags
ro water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com