Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

So i am all set up now, RO/DI in 30 gal storage barrels,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-31604257.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	73657   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3584355100.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	73658  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-382322872.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	73659   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-787394298.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	73660  

Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Got a question if anyone can help, how do I go about measuring the water in the tank if I only want 10 or 15 gals? I am about to just transfer from my 5 gals bucket than to the 30 gal where I mix salt n water, I want to bypass that, just want to go straight from the RO barrel to the mixing one?

Old 01-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafatoy View Post
Got a question if anyone can help, how do I go about measuring the water in the tank if I only want 10 or 15 gals? I am about to just transfer from my 5 gals bucket than to the 30 gal where I mix salt n water, I want to bypass that, just want to go straight from the RO barrel to the mixing one?
Are you asking,"how do I make sure I only pull out 10 to 15 gallons?" I siphon into 5 gallon buckets to make sure I don't pull out more make up water than I have made up.

BTW, I'm very jealous of you guys who have the space to store RO water. I don't have the room to put up a barrel or Brute trash can and am limited to making 15 gallons (max) on demand which can sometimes take a while to draw the RO water, then I have to let it warm up this time of year.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

To Rutrag
Well ye that's what I want to avoid if possible, I am producing up to 30 gals in the barrel than I just want to siphon from the barrel straight to the mixing barrel without the 5 gals jugs, just can't seen to have an idea how to measure or tell what is the amount left on either.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

The best thing I can think of is when your mixing barrel is empty, use a five gallon bucket to "measure" the water line a 5 gallon increments in the barrel and just put a mark with a Sharpie or paint pen on the outside of the barrel.

I guess you could do the same thing when you siphon out of your display tank by putting some small tick marks on a back corner.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok I put a post it note to do that when empty, thanks
Old 01-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

also mark your tank at the "i've taken out 15 gallons" mark. Helps when pythoning.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag
The best thing I can think of is when your mixing barrel is empty, use a five gallon bucket to "measure" the water line a 5 gallon increments in the barrel and just put a mark with a Sharpie or paint pen on the outside of the barrel.

I guess you could do the same thing when you siphon out of your display tank by putting some small tick marks on a back corner.
+1. This is how I did it. Just use 5 gallon jug that had markers on it and used sharpie on my tanks. Inconspicuous of course. Only have to do it once tho.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafatoy
Ok I put a post it note to do that when empty, thanks
I would think you would want to do it with the tank full so you know how much you have taken out, no? I mean I guess it depends on which tank you are marking. The RO tank I would do when full so you know how much has been taken out and the mixing tank I would do empty so you know how much is in it.
Maybe you could also do like 5 gallon increments or 1 gallon increments to measure top offs or something.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK now I have a question for the forum. I have a blue brute trash can for my RO and cqnt see through it. Also it is stored in a shower stall in one of my bathrooms, not ideal, but it works for now.
I can't see through it, can I mark the inside with something, permanent marker, or will that foul the water?

Tags
ro water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Cheato? | mandarins »