Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

RO Water Questions

I have decided to no longer buy premixed water from the shop in attempts to save money. The local supermarkets have refillable jug stations for drinking water. The questions I have are one, is that RO water? If it is, it it also DI water? and Two, is it suitable for reef settings to mix salt with? I am trying to find the most "clean" water and wondering if this is a good solution. Thanks in advance!
First time poster,
Melissa

Old 01-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

PS: I apologize if this has been covered already, which I am sure it has, but I could not find it.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You are alright. The water you get at walmart or other stores is usually just RO water. It`s better than tap water but for about 100 dollars you can get a nice RO/DI unit. I`ve seen them on ebay.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

melosu58 is right, best to get an RO/DI unit, I went an bought water from Walmart n supermarket machine, and I regret it... Also like Mark said it best, when you go and get water from LFS u just don't come out with water....look for group buy later for BRS
Old 01-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ro/di unit was one of the best investments I made. We spend so much money on our setups so its important to put decent stuff in our tanks. Just doesn't make sense to put tap or regular ro water in it. DI does make a difference. Spend the $ and you won't regret it.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I picked up a 7 stage unit off ebay for 123.50 with shipping.
Here's another one:
AQUARIUM II RO/DI REVERSE OSMOSIS WATER FILTER AQUASAFE | eBay
Old 01-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I picked up a 4 stage ro/di on www.purewaterclub.com (thanks again to carey for the site reccomendation) mine does 100gpd and it was only $65. Idk how big or how many tanks you have but for my 25 and 55 I figured a 100gpd would suffice for me. They also have larger ones if you need something larger.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Our LFS gives us FREE RO water. Love that guy!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Depending on the local water quality and care given to upkeep filters and such at Wal Mart and other retailers the water may be fine to use. However unless you have a very small tank it just isn't worth the long time cost and effort to continually use the store bought water. Best bet to avoid these (unless in pinch) and avoid any potential headaches and future trouble shooting and start with a known consistent product.

I have a Spectra Pure unit and have no issues with it at all. It seems that most forums I frequent the two main units recommended is either BRS or SpectraPure unit. I don't think I have ever come across negative comments about either.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got a 5 stage off brs and its the best investment I ever made for my tanks not only do I make tank water I do not have to buy bottled water any more which was the selling point to the wife lol

Tags
ro water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Cheato? | mandarins »