Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-12-2005, 12:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to badfish
RO Water Vs. Conditioned Tap Water

What is the differences from using RO Water and Conditioned Tap Water. My LFS said that using RO Water is more of a Luxury then a necessity. Do a lot of people use tap water, if so what type/brand of condioner do you use, or shoud i just buy RO Water. My tank will be FOWLR. TIA

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Conditioners convert chlorine to a less toxic form. Leaving water in an open container for at least 24 hours will rid the water of chlorine and save you money. On the luxury necessity question it depends on the quality of your tap water. If you want to read some more info on this www.airwaterice.com has some good info on the subject. I personally started with tap water and only recently started using RO/DI water because a new wholefoods opened up near me and only charges 1.95 when I fill my 5 gal container.

EJS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 07:18 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
If you have really good tap water, you might get away with using it. Tap water is subject to have all kinds of nasties in it though...silicates, phosphates, nitrates, even pesticide residues. It also has dissolved solids other than the above mentioned. If your tap water is treated with chlorine only, you can add some sodium thiosulfate and dissipate the chlorine immediately. However, if your water company uses chloramine, you have ammonia to deal with as well. Chloramine is a lot harder to get rid of. There are some water conditioners that will break the chlorine/ammonia bond and reduce the ammonia to a less harmful form, but I'd rather be safe and use RO water. It won't have any of this stuff in it.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My main reason to use it is a measurable phosphate level in my tap water. Realizing that I would be topping off with tap water, I figured the phosphate concentration might even RISE over time ... until the inevitale algase bloom that would consume it.

With all the potential problems there can be in this hobby, prior knowledge of them and steps to PREVENT them, to the extent possible, just make good sense.
30 gal standard 55 lbs LR, 60 lb live sand, 10 gal sump/refugium. Urchin skimmer, mag7 pump, 3 x 96W PC combination 10,000K/actinic bulb, 2 blue LED moonlights
SG 1.024, temp 79.5, pH 8.4

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to badfish
I would of course have my LFS test the water first and get their opinion, i would only use tap for the intial fill. I would top off and do my water changes with RO water.
50 Gallon Oceanic: 2 maxijet 1200's, 2 150 watt visitherm heaters, BakPak II Skimmer with PS & BT, Coralife Lunar 2X65 watt Power Compacts

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The common test kits we use in the hobby wont be able to tell you the quality of your tap water. If you have municpile water supply you can ask your city for a disclosure to whats in the water system. They do studies and have to supply the public that info upon request.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

condition, ro water, tap water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com