rock capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norolo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
was wondering how many pounds of live rock can be put in a 55 gal tall tank i have 70 pounds now
what is the limit

The general rules are 1 pound per gallon minimum and 2 pounds per gallon maximum, but you can have as many pounds as you want as long as the there are enough open space for the fish to swim.

IT really depends on the rock density and your personal preference. As mentioned, 1 lb/gal is minimum, 2 is very good. I happen to have about 160-170lbs in my 72gal. It does not look too crowded and there is a good bit of swimming space. A lot of it is aqua-cultured LR form FL and I think it is a bit more dense then Fiji or Tonga rock.

fish

i have three green chromis
1 percula clown
1 blue tang
1 mustard tang
there is enough room oh yeah i bought 10 more pounds yesterday
up to 80 lbs. now

I think porous rock is key. It won't displace as much water and has far greater surface for the bacteria to grow on.

Yeah, I learned that with coral branch rock - big, long branches, they look like a giant leather coral. They take up a lot of room for their weight. I stopped buying that after I realized it wasn't as porous as the more "rock-like" rocks.

Back
Top Bottom