Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
Okay! Received the rock today in 3 pieces! Very cool. I've weighed it and seems that I have 57 lbs but paid for 55 lbs. That's fine.

I placed the pieces on a egg crate that is the exact footprint of the 65g: 36 x 18 x 24 (tall). The tallest rock is 18".

Looks awesome as is but the lady friend wants me to break at least one piece up and "build" something, e.g. arch, cave or whatever. Two of the pieces seem near perfect to me, interest wise... so I'm not keen on touching those.

That said, my mind is wide open to possibilities. I was going to place all 3 pieces in a Brute can to measure water displacement but she reminded me that the BRS instructional video recommended working scultpure with dry rock. I'm really excited - this part means I'll probably be placing the scape, sand, mixing salt and starting to fill the tank before the end of the weekend.

Hope to have photos for you guys tomorrow before doing anything to the rock.

You only got 3 rocks? That seems like a bit of a gip. LOL i guess you can break some up but I would have expected the pieces and variations that reefcleaners provides.

But it's porous and good right? Then no reason to worry! hehe

Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
You only got 3 rocks? That seems like a bit of a gip. LOL i guess you can break some up but I would have expected the pieces and variations that reefcleaners provides.

But it's porous and good right? Then no reason to worry! hehe
Oh, the rock is great! No a complaint. As posted earlier in this thread (to clear up any confusion as to why I have only 3 pieces totaling 57 lbs, here is what I posted on the day of purchase): "And, to my surprise... BRS called within 20-30 mins. of placing the order for 55 lbs. to ask me some questions as to the size of the pieces I want! After a 15 minute conversation, they suggested they will send 3 rocks at about 20 lbs each. So they're guessing I'll get an extra 5 lbs free."

That said, I've having problems posting the images. I can upload to the gallery area but not to the thread. I am using the button for images that then only prompts for a URL. Anyone have a suggestion? I'm sure the solution is obvious. :-(

Old 09-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

if you go into advanced posting it will have a place to upload from your computer.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To post I upload all my pictures to Photobucket and then post the img. Code in the thread..

Hey Larry will u be Addig any more lr to the tank your just under a pound per gallon the suggested amount is 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon. And I can't wait to see pictures and that nice stand somebody built . I so wish I could fit a 65 gallon tank where my 45 is I'm so jealous..
paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pukani Rock Finally!

AWOL but have returned to post these. My apologies to anyone would need these sooner. Hopefully, you got whatever guidance you needed despite my delay - I know what it's like to be waiting on pins and needles ..ain't fun.

There are 3 pieces. They displace about 5 gallons of water. Weight: 57 lbs. That's a lotta rock for the money. Insofar as the folks that believe that it's all about weight and not surface area... well, to each his opinion, but the science is on the side of the surface area.

Let me know if you guys have any questions... as always, appreciate your comments and suggestions.

There are 7 images, so I will upload in 2 sets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1rs IMG_9348 cr ZB comment.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	53960   Click image for larger version

Name:	2rs IMG_2895 Zb comment.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	53961  

Name:	3rs IMG_2899 Zb comment.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	53962   Click image for larger version

Name:	4rs IMG_2888 Zb close up.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	53963  

Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Second set of photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5rs IMG_2889 Zb close up.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	53965   Click image for larger version

Name:	6rs IMG_2890 DPP Close up.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	53966  

Name:	7rs IMG_2891 close up.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	53967  
Old 09-27-2011, 10:23 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulweck View Post
To post I upload all my pictures to Photobucket and then post the img. Code in the thread..

Hey Larry will u be Addig any more lr to the tank your just under a pound per gallon the suggested amount is 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon. And I can't wait to see pictures and that nice stand somebody built . I so wish I could fit a 65 gallon tank where my 45 is I'm so jealous..
Paul built my stand. So, I kn ow he's anxious for me to post the photos. And, I promise to do that once I've caught up critical chores that keep popping up , e.g., major plumbing issue in 2nd bathroom, and life's other crises.... lol Sorry Paul but this will happen!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

If these photos are too small, let me know and I will upload the larger versions.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to HalfMoon B
That stone looks great!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow looks great that's some big rock

paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brs, clean, cleaner, reef, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com