Rock Confusion Pukani, Reef Saver Eco, and Florida Rock From BRS or ReefCleaners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryS

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hoping to get some feedback before purchasing from you guys on the better sources of rock - and, your experiences with their differences.

I was getting ready to order the Pukani and Reef Saver from BulkReefSupply (BRS), because of it's promoted as very lightweight… and the videos on BRS show how easy these rocks are to build aquascapes, including the “Lincoln log” approach that BRS shows with the Reef Saver.

But when I saw the Florida rock at ReefCleaners… and pricing, I had second thoughts as this rock also comes from a valued source.

Any ideas from folks who have purchased and aquascaped with these rocks?

Thanks! :)

I haven't bought my rock from either of those guys, I ususally go through reefcleaners, which has some excellent rock by the way.

LarryS said:
They seem to have a solid rep in the hobby.

Yep. Got mine from there and I have NO complaints whatsoever! Very helpful! Answers every question and sends more than u payed for. I'm loving it

Also if you tell them the size of tank you have reefcleaners actually pick out pieces that will work in the tank without to much breaking to make them fit.

Also if you tell them the size of tank you have reefcleaners actually pick out pieces that will work in the tank without to much breaking to make them fit.

Now that has my attention! :) ..as does their current sale price.

Of course, nothing in this thread (so far :) ) speaks to me about the differences between between reefcleaners FL rock and BRS's Pukani which is wildly popular and very interesting rock - very porous and very lightweight.

I did write to reefcleaners asking how their rock is same or similar to Pukani. Here's a reply from John Maloney, "Pukani is lighter usually, they are both easy to interlock. Florida Reef Rock is mined inland, and is cleaned, Pukani rock is usually dirty still with reef life that died when they dried it, but sometimes they clean it too, it is a newer thing for them to clean it."

"Dirty" to me means potential seed for the tank, as from what I'm learning elsewhere - so, that is not a bad thing. Rock shipped that has to go through customs is spending time on a ship and a dock... several weeks of drying...and killing...of all but the most virulent of pest.

After much research :popcorn:and some hair pulling :facepalm: ...
I placed an order with BRS for Pukani. Lots more rock volume for the money; took advantage of the group buy here (Thank You Carey!! :) ), got a $5 surprise coupon that I was able to also apply :) ...yippee!

And, to my surprise... BRS called within 20-30 mins. of placing the order for 55 lbs. to ask me some questions as to the size of the pieces I want! After a 15 minute conversation, they suggested they will send 3 rocks at about 20 lbs each. So they're guessing I'll get an extra 5 lbs free.

My decision on Pukani vs. Florida rock was a lot based on the Pukani being significantly more porous and lighter weight per volume. So it will take less rock for the same or more surface area using the Pukani.

It seems both rocks have a strong and loyal fan base.

:thanks:

Photos should do, since I know what reefcleaners looks like already so I can see if it looks the same.

I just picked up over 250lbs of dry base rock today for less than $50 so I probably won't be needing anymore but I'm still curious who has the better rock LOL

carey said:
Photos should do, since I know what reefcleaners looks like already so I can see if it looks the same.

I just picked up over 250lbs of dry base rock today for less than $50 so I probably won't be needing anymore but I'm still curious who has the better rock LOL

Where did you btw that deal? Lol
I just ordered some Florida reef rock from reef cleaners for my tank. What was your experience with that Carey? Just so we have something to compare to for the OP here.

I was one step away from buying the reefcleaners rock for the 90 build until this deal came along. I have only ordered from them and they have excellent rock. I can tell the difference in my tank between my rocks and theirs is perfect. Places for your corals, stacks well and for some reason the rocks are always the perfect size. They even will ask you what application youre using it for and they will pick the right sized rocks for ya.

I have nothing but praise for them. :) I;ve bought many a crew as well and have always come away with no DOA's ever. Very pleased

BRS shipped this afternoon. Must have been too late in the day in Friday for my rock order to go out before the weekend. I think I'm in a 3-day delivery zone from them, so I'd hope to have the PUkani rock no later than Thursday.

I ordered from them on a tuesday got it on a friday. they ship pretty quick. :)

Looking forward to seeing what all the hub bub is about with their rock. lol

I will be getting my reefcleaner rocks within a few days. So i can post a picture for comparison and the ease of stacking.

BfishLpond78 said:
I will be getting my reefcleaner rocks within a few days. So i can post a picture for comparison and the ease of stacking.

I ordered mine over the weekend as well. Lets see how they do with picking it for a specific tank size!

You are only getting 3 rocks? Looks like you'll end up making a table/shelf to me. Will look quite beguiling when covered in coral, however long that may take ;). You could hang things upside down, too, which is always neat.

You are only getting 3 rocks? Looks like you'll end up making a table/shelf to me. Will look quite beguiling when covered in coral, however long that may take ;). You could hang things upside down, too, which is always neat.

Okay! Received the rock today in 3 pieces! :) Very cool. I've weighed it and seems that I have 57 lbs but paid for 55 lbs. That's fine.

I placed the pieces on a egg crate that is the exact footprint of the 65g: 36 x 18 x 24 (tall). The tallest rock is 18". :)

Looks awesome as is but the lady friend wants me to break at least one piece up and "build" something, e.g. arch, cave or whatever. Two of the pieces seem near perfect to me, interest wise... so I'm not keen on touching those.

That said, my mind is wide open to possibilities. I was going to place all 3 pieces in a Brute can to measure water displacement but she reminded me that the BRS instructional video recommended working scultpure with dry rock. I'm really excited - this part means I'll probably be placing the scape, sand, mixing salt and starting to fill the tank before the end of the weekend.

Hope to have photos for you guys tomorrow before doing anything to the rock.

Here is the rock from reef cleaners...i am very impressed with it.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110923_090306.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110923_090306.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 230
  • ForumRunner_20110923_090734.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110923_090734.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 202
Back
Top Bottom