Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Rock Confusion Pukani, Reef Saver Eco, and Florida Rock From BRS or ReefCleaners

Hoping to get some feedback before purchasing from you guys on the better sources of rock - and, your experiences with their differences.

I was getting ready to order the Pukani and Reef Saver from BulkReefSupply (BRS), because of it's promoted as very lightweight… and the videos on BRS show how easy these rocks are to build aquascapes, including the “Lincoln log” approach that BRS shows with the Reef Saver.

But when I saw the Florida rock at ReefCleaners… and pricing, I had second thoughts as this rock also comes from a valued source.

Any ideas from folks who have purchased and aquascaped with these rocks?

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I haven't bought my rock from either of those guys, I ususally go through reefcleaners, which has some excellent rock by the way.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I haven't bought my rock from either of those guys, I ususally go through reefcleaners, which has some excellent rock by the way.
They seem to have a solid rep in the hobby.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS

They seem to have a solid rep in the hobby.
Yep. Got mine from there and I have NO complaints whatsoever! Very helpful! Answers every question and sends more than u payed for. I'm loving it
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also if you tell them the size of tank you have reefcleaners actually pick out pieces that will work in the tank without to much breaking to make them fit.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13 View Post
Also if you tell them the size of tank you have reefcleaners actually pick out pieces that will work in the tank without to much breaking to make them fit.
Now that has my attention! ..as does their current sale price.

Of course, nothing in this thread (so far ) speaks to me about the differences between between reefcleaners FL rock and BRS's Pukani which is wildly popular and very interesting rock - very porous and very lightweight.

I did write to reefcleaners asking how their rock is same or similar to Pukani. Here's a reply from John Maloney, "Pukani is lighter usually, they are both easy to interlock. Florida Reef Rock is mined inland, and is cleaned, Pukani rock is usually dirty still with reef life that died when they dried it, but sometimes they clean it too, it is a newer thing for them to clean it."

"Dirty" to me means potential seed for the tank, as from what I'm learning elsewhere - so, that is not a bad thing. Rock shipped that has to go through customs is spending time on a ship and a dock... several weeks of drying...and killing...of all but the most virulent of pest.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

After much research and some hair pulling ...
I placed an order with BRS for Pukani. Lots more rock volume for the money; took advantage of the group buy here (Thank You Carey!! ), got a $5 surprise coupon that I was able to also apply ...yippee!

And, to my surprise... BRS called within 20-30 mins. of placing the order for 55 lbs. to ask me some questions as to the size of the pieces I want! After a 15 minute conversation, they suggested they will send 3 rocks at about 20 lbs each. So they're guessing I'll get an extra 5 lbs free.

My decision on Pukani vs. Florida rock was a lot based on the Pukani being significantly more porous and lighter weight per volume. So it will take less rock for the same or more surface area using the Pukani.

It seems both rocks have a strong and loyal fan base.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

When you get it let us know! I was curious as well as to the difference.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
When you get it let us know! I was curious as well as to the difference.
I'll post photos for you but will be hard pressed to compare it to anything as I have no other rock.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Photos should do, since I know what reefcleaners looks like already so I can see if it looks the same.

I just picked up over 250lbs of dry base rock today for less than $50 so I probably won't be needing anymore but I'm still curious who has the better rock LOL

Tags
brs, clean, cleaner, reef, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com